Flashback: On Tonight: Part I

March 2018

Becca's POV

I tossed the tequila shot back with a wince before popping the lime in my mouth with a shudder. The blonde sitting beside me on a stool in the crowded bar shot me a wink before following suit. I took a sip of beer to chase it and shook my head against the buzz. I toyed with the edges of the red maxi dress I had paired with a blue jean jacket and suede booties for the night. I should be heading home to crash since we had a meeting with the stylist tomorrow for the ACM awards. I hadn't planned on going but when my sister in law poked her lip out at me with puppy dog eyes I had caved. Turns out my brother wasn't the only Gilbert that move worked on. I turned around on my stool leaning my elbows on the wooden bar top scanning the crowd.

"What ya looking for?" Miranda said with a laugh in my ear. Pizza and songwriting earlier today had turned into hey let's go out. I gave her a wink then shrugged taking a sip of beer as the tequila swirled through my veins.

"Just checking things out," I said nonchalantly. Gave her a half smile. "Thinking of trying dating again. Someone not in the business before you even start."

"Good luck with that," Miranda said with a chuckle taking a sip from her glass of whiskey. "How often do either of us meet a guy that is not some way related to the industry." She narrowed her eyes at me with a smirk. "Why Becca Lynn Gilbert, that your round about way of saying you got an itch that needs scratching?"

"Dammit Ran," I said turning almost as red as my dress. "Could you say that any louder?"

"Nothing wrong with it honey," she said with a snicker handing me another shot to toss back. Lord, we were always trouble when we got together. Carrie swore "Somethin' Bad" was written about us. "Think I'm gonna stay single a while."

"You are so much better off," I said with a snort making her cough as her eyes widened mid shot. She hit my arm as I laughed. "What? It's no secret Anderson put me to sleep just looking at him babe. Too emo for my tastes. Just no."

"Nope yours runs more along the lines of former football players that can play your body as well as he can a guitar," Miranda said with a wink as I glared at her.

"Can we go one night without bringing him up Ran?" I snarled turning my attention back to the crowd. A cute guy in a backwards Predators hat in a black t-shirt across the bar caught my eye. I elbowed Miranda pointing that direction where he was sitting with his buddies. Dark hair, tan skin, a bright smile. Hmmm.. "What about him?" She craned her neck looking over then let out a snort as he stood up being much shorter than I thought.

"Nope," she said laughing as my face fell. "You would be even with him in those shoes and that's not saying much. Besides, he just has that vibe that he would piss himself if he ever met either of your brothers, let alone PJ."

"Hate it when you are right," I mumbled rolling my eyes as I spun around on my stool ordering another round of shots. We took a few more, talked about one of the songs we had written today and just laughed. I leaned my elbow on the bar top with a sigh settling my hand in my chin feeling my buzz hit hard. I probably should slow down if I was going to function tomorrow. Brantley's loud mouth and a hangover were not fun. He got evil delight in paying me back for the hell I had given him over the years.

While I would not trade my brother being sober for anything in the world, I wanted to kill him when he gave me no sympathy for a hangover. My phone was snatched out of my jacket pocket making me sit up. I looked over at Miranda furiously typing away with a mischievous grin on her face. "What are you doing? I mean you know if we are drunk enough Caroline will come and get us. Even funnier when she sends Luke."

"Last time she did that she still had to come get us because we gave him shots," she said with a laugh. "She loved our offkey rendition of "Rain is a Good Thing" that night. Patience sister. I am helping you out turn around, open that jacket up, and let me see the girls"

"Miranda what the hell," I gasped as I turned giving her a wide look. Before I could stop her, she yanked my jacket open and snapped the picture then typing some more. "Woman! Just what the hell are you up to!" I tried to grab my phone only to have my hand batted away. I thought about it a minute then my jaw dropped as she read something that come in with a smirk then picked up her phone sending a text. "No! Please tell me you did not!"

"Oh yes honey," she said with a satisfied grin. "Car will be here in five minutes. I knew neither of us would be sober when we left. I'll drop you off then head home. You can't tell me you don't want to. Because I will call bullshit."

"You can't be serious," I moaned covering my face as my heart raced. My phone vibrated on the bar top between us and I grabbed it before she did. I gasped at the message

Chase: While she looks beautiful as always, the only good place that dress would look is on my floor.

Miranda giggled and took the phone back with a grin. I looked over her shoulder my heart pounding as she answered for me saying I was on the way. A reply immediately came back.

Chase: Gate will be open.

Miranda whistled to grab the bartender's attention as we both settled our tab and I let her pull me out into the cool night air and towards a black town car idling by the curve.

"Seems you haven't been the only one drinking tonight," Miranda said with a laugh as we moved through traffic. I stuck my tongue out at her as she pushed the side of my head. "Don't give me that look Becs. I know you flew to Pittsburg a couple of months ago for this exact reason."

"It started off as a dare!" I grumbled looking out into the passing night. "You and Caroline are like the worst influences on me. She told me I was bitchy and needed to get laid. Y'all know which buttons to push on me when it comes to him."

"And you cave and melt every time woman," she said batting her eyes. "At least when it comes to sex anyhow. Let him try to apologize again and you get pissed."

"Shut up," I sighed chewing on my lip. It was like she had planned this starting with the tequila shots, then the number I should have deleted from my phone a long time ago. I warred with myself on doing this. Hell, I didn't have to show up. So, what if it pissed him off, I didn't. As the car slowed turning down a long driveway I realized my choice had been taken away as it stopped a minute later. Miranda kissed my cheek, winked at me as she reached for the door handle shoving me out into the quiet night. I whirled around to look at her with wide eyes.

"Have fun babe!" she said with a laugh. "Take a bite out of that sweet ass for me!"

She shut the door and a second later the car eased away with me standing in the driveway slightly in shock. I heard the front door open a little ways behind me and my heart start to pound. I threw my shoulders back before turning around the alcohol in my veins giving me courage. Fuck it, here goes nothing.