25

twenty five

Kaius was sure to keep me quite close throughout our entire dance. If I moved away from him, he would pull me right back.

He had me pushed right against him, my head on his chest as we swayed gently to the music, he even made his hand squeeze mine every so often as if he wanted me to know he was still there, but of course I would because his other hand that was resting on my hip was rubbing circles with his thumb, and they were impossible to ignore.

I pulled my face away from his warm chest, no longer hearing the regular beat of his heart, but the action apparently gave him the idea to place his face in the crook of my neck, something he was very fond of doing. "Oh, Amoret," he whispered, "you are the most magnificent woman I have ever seen, the only one I have seen."

My eyes wandered the crowd, picking out not just one but even more than only one, there were many beautiful women who all took a longing glance at my mate.

Oh, I haven't called him that yet.

My cheeks heated at the thought. Mates, I wondered, they seemed like a time saver, all that heartbreak that most humans face no longer there for werewolves. Just like Macia with Henrik's father, he is no longer in the picture, that is if he ever was.

I've heard very few things about mates, but the name itself was pretty self-explanatory. Soulmates, a werewolf's weakness in a way. However, Flynn once told me about rejection and how it barely happens, but it has. I guess that is a werewolf's heartbreak.

Maybe that is even worse, to be rejected by someone who was made for you to love.

Oh, but the wonders of mates.

"What are you thinking about?" Kaius's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, he was no longer against my neck but instead it was him who moved to watch, to just look at me.

Too bad I won't be here long enough to witness being with my own mate.

"Something I shouldn't be thinking about," I admitted with a frown.

Mama would be livid if she found out about this, about Kaius.

"And that is?" He asked, his hand moving to push against my lower back, and he lifted up our entwined hands to place a peck on mine.

"You," I said.

"Oh, really? I would love to know your thoughts if you're willing to tell them," he spoke, every word he spoke was smooth and I could feel him smile against my skin once he placed his face back against my neck.

"You're terrible," I grinned as I felt his teeth sink lightly into my skin, barely enough to add any pressure that would hurt and I giggled at it.

From across the room, I was able to see a familiar face, one that was stuffing his face by the food table.

Flynn!

My hand continuously hit against Kaius's back until he finally got the hint and moved back. "What?" He asked, looking a little annoyed as he watched me expectantly.

"Flynn!" I squealed excitedly, "He's here, oh, he's here!"

Kaius unwrapped himself from me, giving me space to jump up and down, barely anyone noticed thanks to the giant who was practically covering me from everyone's eyes.

"I assume that you would like to go talk to him," he said and I nodded enthusiastically, my gaze switching between the two. "Alright, but make sure to keep close or at least somewhere where I can see you at all times."

I rolled my eyes at him before rushing over to see Flynn, the last thing I heard was him mutter, "Did you roll your eyes at me?" Duh, I giggled.

Flynn looked at me, shocked as his eyes widened, just as I arrived in front of him, throwing my arms around his waist. "Oh, Flynn! What have you been up to?"

"What have I been up to?" Flynn questioned as he hugged me back, "The better question is, what have you been up to?"

"Not much," I giggled and twirled innocently, grinning at the sight of him all dressed up in a suit, "I've been told that I've been sleeping for most of the time."

Flynn was oddly quiet.

We let go of each other and I pointed up to the part of my head where a bandage was on recently, Faith took it off earlier, "I got hit in the head, no clue how, but Faith said I healed pretty quickly."

Flynn looked at the spot and rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke, "Yeah, I wonder how you got that."

"Me too," I agreed, "but, I'm sure Kaius will tell me everything. Faith said today that he'll explain everything soon, hopefully tonight."

"And Faith is?" Flynn asked, beginning to pull me away from where we were standing off to the side, but still in the open, and over to somewhere more secluded.

"Oh, well, she helps me," I answered and pulled at the short sleeves of my dress. "Apparently she's the pack doctor's helper, so when I was sleeping for the first few days she was taking care of me."

Flynn examined the room, looking at everyone and everything. He had a paranoid look to him, his hair slightly messed up, more than usual, as if he was running his fingers through his hair all day and pulling at his curls constantly. He even had bags under his eyes, and Flynn loved to sleep.

"Hey-" I placed my hand on his arm, "-are you okay?"

"Yeah," he said but sounded distracted as he looked anywhere else than at me, shrugging off my hand as he took a step back, "but, I need to find someone."

The only thing I could say was, "Oh."

"Yeah, I'll see you later," and with his last words, he disappeared into the crowd.

Sighing sadly, I fidgeted at my dress and got a good look at my nails, they were long and my hands looked completely fine.

Pretty hands, Mama will be so happy with me, I thought to myself with a smile forming on my lips.

I wandered around and much to Kaius's disapproval, left the room as I went back through another doorway that I had found, finding myself in front of another door.

Gently pushing the door open by just a crack, I peeked in to see Luna Rose talking to a man.

Curiosity killed the cat.

W O R D  C O U N T : 1124

Part three.

Obsessed with Adele, honestly, the song Million Years Ago is just amazing and I love it.