11

eleven

Henrik finished before I did, he sat there watching me with his head tilted to the side as he sipped his glass of champagne until it was all gone.

He had drank most of the bottle, all of it besides the rest in my glass, a glass that I hardly touched.

My cheeks reddened under the heat of his gaze, his blue eyes not looking away as I hurried, in the best way I could, to eat all the food on my plate.

I wanted to shove it all in my mouth, to get whatever this was to end. But as usual, Mama's words invaded my thoughts, 'Une dame ne doit jamais se précipiter en mangeant, elle est impolie et vous fera ressembler à un animal.'

I didn't want to look like an impolite animal, especially in front of Henrik, in front of anyone.

No matter how many times I told myself not to care throughout the entire night, the feeling of being trapped still stirred around in my mind, a feeling I knew all too well.

I need to leave, I kept telling myself.

"Are you ready?" He asked me, his deep voice breaking the unbearable silence.

"Yes," I answered, taking the last gulp of water from my cup.

"You didn't finish your champagne," he reminded me. Right, I didn't like it.

"Oh, I'm sorry, it's just not the right taste for me," I explained, looking up at him with guilty eyes.

He nodded before standing up, reaching his hand out to me and I took it, getting up slowly. "That's okay, I didn't like it the first time either."

"Really?" I asked, a little surprised, "You seemed to enjoy it."

"I got used to it. Now, it's one of my favourites to drink," he smiled down at me as he spoke, a full smile, a real one, that showed off the small chip in his front tooth.

"Maybe, one day, I'll like it as well," I told him.

"Maybe." He led me out the door, I sent a small wave and a sweet smile to our waitress who looked surprise to see me say goodbye, or at least try to.

"We're going home now, yes?" I spoke up as his hand tightened around mine once again, as usual.

"Yes. I need to get some work done or else I would have taken you out somewhere for a walk," he admitted.

I kept quiet.

The walk was short, it wasn't much of an exciting surprise anymore nor was it him leading me anywhere. I knew where to go, which path to take and what my final destination would be.

I wasn't quite ready for what happened after it though.

Henrik oddly stopped in front of the shop, I thought nothing of it and continued to step up to the door. Before I knew what was happening, I was being pulled back with a gasp escaping from me. Henrik's arm shot out and grabbed my hand, pulling me into him.

All in one quick movement.

My body hit his chest harder than he must've expected because both of us went tumbling over but only by a little, just enough to throw us off. My hands instantly went to his chest and his hands went down to my waist.

He tried steadying me while he laughed, "I didn't expect you to practically fall into me!"

When the initial shock went away I looked up at him, the moon shining against the side of his face and lighting up his best features including his eyes that seemed to be brighter in the light of the moon, his smile looking even more perfect as he laughed harder.

I couldn't help but laugh along, I found myself smiling so hard that my eyes squinted. "I wasn't expecting you to pull me back!"

"Well, what did you expect?" He questioned, "That I would let you, a beautiful girl, leave after our date, that went pretty great if you ask me, just like that?"

"I don't know!" I gushed, giggling as I hit his chest lightly before taking my hands off him completely, his hold didn't loosen. "I don't go on dates, at all."

He let go of my waist with one hand left to keep me there but for only a second, long enough to grab my own tiny hand and gently place it back on his chest. "Why is that?"

"I was never allowed to," I confessed, feeling my smile falter as I remembered the memories of home.

"Such a pity," he whispered, his eyes flicked down to my lips and on instinct, I bit down on my bottom lip. "But good for me," he finished and his hand came up to cup my cheek.

This doesn't feel right, I thought, this feels wrong.

He slowly leaned down, I caught just a glimpse of the blue in his eyes before they closed shut.

How do I fix this? Think!

I hesitantly leaned in, I was much shorter than him and if I could time it just right then it would work perfectly. My face pulled away from his hand and the side of my face hit his chest as my hands found their way around his back, holding him against me.

His arms let go, he stepped back in surprise, "Tonight was wonderful," I stated as I hugged him tighter, "but it's late and I need my beauty sleep."

He barely had enough time to react properly before I was letting go and barrelling into Macia's shop. I went straight up the stairs and into my room.

I closed the door with a bang and threw myself against the door, my back hitting it as I gasped for breath.

So much running lately!

W O R D  C O U N T : 1029

This one is really short!

I hope everyone enjoys though!

T R A N S L A T I O N S

Une dame ne doit jamais se précipiter en mangeant, elle est impolie et vous fera ressembler à un animal - A lady must never rush when eating, it is impolite and will make you look like an animal