[28] House of Impasse

Start from the beginning

"I'm getting better,"

"You can see?"

"Not exactly..." Victor explained to the housemother, "but now instead of a big dark blur, I see a big light blur."

The Sibuna's all glanced into the living room to see Vera place something over Victor's face, "it's a cold compress, Victor," with that they started to sneak from the kitchen, Camilla keeping guard. The small girl's mouth turning into a frown as she heard Vera say, "there must be some sort of switch to turn it off,"

"Well there is nothing at the entrance..." before Camilla could hear anything more Fabian had grabbed her arm and they followed the other Sibuna's as they expertly navigated the stairs all of them making sure to jump over the 6th one – after their adventures last year it now had a slight creak to it.

They burst into the girl's bedroom all looking at one another with a mixture of shock and relief. "Oh it's so good to make noise again," Amber said as she shut the door.

"Oh but don't be afraid to not." Alfie chimed in, causing Camilla to elbow him causing a yelp. She loved Alfie but he was really pushing his luck with Amber. Yes, he wanted them to break up because she wasn't the idealised version he thought she was, but degrading her was not the answer and Camilla would not stand for it.

"How did Victor get in there?" Nina asked, not so subtly looking to Camilla who raised her hands innocently. She and Victor may be somewhat friends, but that didn't mean she knew what he did in his free time other than talking to stuffed birds and singing to plants.

"let's not panic yet," Fabian spoke suddenly as he saw Nina's look turn into one of accusation at Camilla's movement and the dark look that crossed his sister's face was one he knew no one wanted to be on the receiving end of.

Camilla said she didn't tell he believed her. Nothing else needed to be said.

"He's only seen the antechamber," Fabian explained as the Sibuna's turned to look at him.

"and he can't get through to the tunnel," Patricia smiled holding up her amulet. It had been her idea to take them with them, so Victor (and Vera Camilla now knew) couldn't get passed the light.

"These Amulets are not safe in our rooms," Fabian said as they all, bar Camilla, looked at the amulets they were now holding.

"then we'll hide them," Nina said as if that was simple, "in the one place he won't search..." with that she placed her Amulet around her neck missing Camilla's brief nose crinkle – she knew Victor if he was determined enough he'd find a way to get the amulets but it was Vera that worried her. "What do we do with the spare?"

"Give it to Cam?" Amber offered but Nina shook her head causing Camilla to frown and look at her shoes.

"Too risky," was all Nina said and Camilla wasn't alone in realising she was saying that because of her Camilla's bond with Victor – though only Fabian and Amber knew about the magic classes he taught.

"What about the dollhouse?" Fabian offered quietly as he looked over at his sister seeing the hurt look on her face as Nina refused to give her a chance at protecting the Amulet. The others nodded at his offer and Nina walked past Camilla to put it into the dollhouse's secret drawer.

"Now what?" Patricia asked them all. "we've still got to get across the beam,"

"we'll we can't go back tonight, it's way too risky," Fabian spoke up.

"We'll go first thing before everyone else gets up," Nina instructed, "let's all get some sleep."

"The morning really?" Camilla muttered as she turned to Amber, "I can't remember the last time I didn't have bags under my eyes. Morning trips with evening ones are going actually kill me,"