Chapter 22

"I am being drafted"

I was breathing heavy. "WHAT?! YOU CAN'T GO YOU CAN'T" I said screaming. Darry held me back and hugged me. "Calm down baby you are going to pass out." Darry said. Steve put his hand on my back. "Guy's we are loosing her." Soda said. "NO No no..." I said. Then, I passed out. 

I woke up with my head in Soda's lap, my leg's in Pony's lap, and everyone was around me. I looked at Eric. "Please tell me it was a dream." I said. Everyone shook their head no. I nodded and started to cry. Soda hugged me, and Pony was rubbing my legs. "You can't leave me!" I said crying. Eric took me from Soda and hugged me. "I love you, but I am leaving tomorrow." Eric said grabbing me. I cried my eyes out. I cried myself to sleep in Eric's arm on the couch in the Curtis's house wondering...What now?

I woke up at 4:00 in the morning. I thought of something. Eric could die, and I would rather have it be me than him. I decided I would do the unthinkable...I would go to war. Not him.

I wrote a long note to Eric and the gang. Here's how it went...

Guys. I did something bad. Really bad. And, I am sorry. I am going to the war, not Eric. I am going to write letters and all that. I know they will find out, but I would rather have it be me. Not Eric. So, Soda, when you notice that some of your clothing is gone, sorry. I got fake hair at 4:30 in the morning. I just wanted to say that no matter what happens, I love you guys, and you are the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. Darry, I am sorry I won't help you with the dishes. Thank you for being like a big brother to me, and a father figure all in one. You are my best friend, and I know you'll always be there for me. I love you. Dally, God I love you so much. You are my best friend, brother, dad, and more. You are the thing that keeps me going. I guess if I survive the war I will be like you, emotionless. I know you are a big softy on the inside though, and with me of course. Thank you for always being there for me. I love you so much. Soda, We dated, and no matter what I still love you. You are my best friend no matter what happens, and since I am going to war, I guess it would be a good time to say if I get home, I Want to be best friends again. Like we used to be. Steve, Steve you are my big funny big brother. You are really protective, but sweet. You are an amazing person, and a very smart person. Thank you for everything you've ever done for me. I love you. Johnny...Oh Johnny, I don't know what to say. You are older than me, but you are still like my little brother. You are an awesome friend and I know I can trust you with anything. In the church fire, when I saved you and dallas, I had no regrets. Cause I love you, and always will. Ponyboy, keep watching sunsets. Out in vietnam, there will be sunsets too. Stay gold Ponyboy. I will watch the sunset every night if possible. I love you, and thank you for being my best friend and brother. Two Bit, I will miss your jokes in vietnam. You are my other brother. You are always there for me, and I love you. Eric, I am sorry for doing this to you. I didn't want you to die. You are not only my boyfriend, but my best friend. When I get back from vietnam, I want to go on more dates. I want to be with you. You being drafted into vietnam only made me realize how lost I would be without you. I love you.

Goodbye everyone. Thanks for always being there for me.

~Coral  Ocean Curtis

I didn't realize I was crying until a teardrop fell on me. I turned off everyone's alarm clock so no one will get up. I put my wig on, put on a really really tight shirt under my outfit to hide my boobs, and I got my bag packed. I had a bookbag and a duffle bag. I was ready for war. 

I kissed everyone's head. Dally woke up when I kissed his head and he yelled when he saw me. I covered his mouth. I heard a bus honk, and I said "I love you" To Dally, kissed him on the lips, and ran out the door. The bus opened and I got on and saw all the young men going to war. I sat with a man who looked to be 18-19. I looked out the window and saw Dally yelling, then I saw the gang running after the bus. I started to cry. I can't stop it now. I am going to war.