Chapter 9: How would you humans put it? That's right- royally screwed.

Start from the beginning

"Am I a prisoner then, if you won't unchain me?" Alice didn't take her eyes off his every move. A smile tugged at his lips and she couldn't find anything funny with the situation. The grip that she had on the chains tightened when he inhaled, his eyes flashed golden.

The night at the club rushed back to her- the feel of his tongue, his arms, the smell of his arousal...Her body shuddered against her will. Alice had been a fool then but now she knew what he was, and judging by the darkening of his eyes he could smell her. A smirk tugged at her lips as she tucked that piece of knowledge at the back of her mind.

Perhaps it wouldn't work now but later...later she could use it to her advantage.

"You're not a prisoner." Colden looked tormented and that dark part of her enjoyed the smell of his sadness. She wanted to recoil back but its claws were deep.

Every time she died she came out damaged, darker, more wrong. It was a price to pay, she guessed, for not being able to die. One that she didn't appreciate.  Alice tugged her hair behind her ear as she watched him from the corner of her eyes. Her lips were parted and her anger had evened out.

Yet something lurked, dark and sinister. It was a new presence that she hadn't had before. She could taste it at the tip of her tongue- it was like oil or a heavy smoke. It suffocated her.

"Then what am I?" Alice moistened her chapped lips.

Colden's hand tugged through his dark hair. She watched as he exhaled, his shoulders tensed and poised. She figured he didn't know where to start. 

"That's what I've been wondering," he finally murmured, holding her gaze as he tipped his head to the side, "what are you if not a human or a wolf?"

"I am what you made me," this time there was no anger in her voice. She tugged at the chains as they rattled. A monster is what she was but she didn't think it would get her anywhere voicing those thoughts, especially while her hands were bound.

"No, not fully," the wolf stood. He walked over to gaze out the window and she observed his every movement- the rise from his chest, the flaring of his nostrils, his pale brooding eyes that were framed by dark eyelashes. Alice noticed that that part of her that would pull and tug and yell every second of the day to just go was gone.

She hated that she was dependant on him for that. 

"I..."Colden paused, briefly glancing her way. She cocked her head to the side, watching, "I wanted to apologise for that night."

"For the sex, you mean?" It had been fucking great and she hadn't been able to forget. That was her other dilemma- the touch of another man burned and revolted her, so she tried the touch of a woman. It did nothing. She wondered whether she'd get the answers she wanted for so long now.

"No, not for that. I don't regret having sex with you, Alice. I want you to know that." His eyes were sincere, his voice soft.

"I do." Alice pulled back her lips in a silent snarl, "I am what I am because of it, am I not? Do you know what that has been like?" A dark shadow crossed his expression, "to have your bones break and your muscles tear every night of every full moon? To have to adapt to things that I didn't know existed until you came along?"

"I'm sorry," she barely heard him. 

"Yeah, you said that. Why? Why did you do that to me?" Alice had been asking herself that question for the past year. What had she done to piss mother nature off? 

Anger lingered beneath her skin but the sadness that she often squished resurfaced. She had been damaged before she met Colden, but whatever he had done to her had made her broken beyond repair. That anger that she had felt for those 12 months, that hate, that misery...that had never been her. She had become a monster, exactly like the ones she had been running from since she was fourteen, because of him.