[ch.14] stressful conversations

Valentina's pov;

Bailey and I have had small and quick arguments every now and then that don't really matter but this current argument was different. After the fight with Timothy and Bailey that's where it all started.

"Why would you even think about doing that Bailey?! You could've gotten into serious trouble!" I yelled at my twin brother.

He scoffed. "Right back at you, Val! You kissed Timothy! Fucking Timothy out of all guys, Val," he yelled.

I sighed as I looked down at the ground with guilt. I don't exactly regret the kiss between Timothy and I but after what had happened between him and Bailey earlier today at school, my aim was to avoid him at all costs.

"Bailey, i'm not getting myself into trouble by kissing Timothy-" I started until he cut me off.

"Yes you are, Val! He's dangerous ok? He may seem perfect to you but in the real world when he's with the gangs and shit he's dangerous..." he said with anger laced in his voice.

I sighed as silence formed around us.
"But you are in a gang too, Bailey," I hesitantly whispered.

He looked into my eyes and took a step towards me. "I know that, Val but you're my sister. Dad and I would never hurt you, okay?"

I finally gave in and nodded slowly as he pulled me in for a hug.
"I'm sorry for yelling at you."

I sighed as I pulled away from the hug.
"It's fine," I smiled softly.

Bailey nodded at me then started walking out of my room but before he was out of my sight he turned back to me.
"We have to talk to dad tonight." Was all he said before he exited my room.

I want to persuade my dad to stop selling drugs to earn money just so he can keep us happy with a house like this. I couldn't care less if we end up poor or become houseless. All I want is for my dad to be safe and happy.

〰️

It is around 7pm and Bailey, dad and I are currently eating dinner.

The tension around us was thick, which made me feel extremely awkward.

Bailey cleared his throat, making me slightly jump as I looked away from my food.
"Dad, can we talk? As a family," he mumbled nervously.

My dad looked unsure and slightly confused as he nodded slowly.
"Yeah of course. Any reason why?"

"We just want to talk about certain things," I responded as he nodded in return.

Bailey and I exchanged glances before nodding in approval.

"We've realised you've been acting strange lately and not yourself. Is something wrong?" I frowned.

A sigh left his lips as he ran his hand through his brown hair. "Look kids, i've had a lot on my plate lately with work-"

Bailey stepped in and interrupted him mid sentence. "-With drug dealing."

I glanced at our dad and saw him clench his jaw as he looked away from us.

There was a minute of silence until I stepped in. "Look dad, it's fine," I started. "But drug dealing? That is something you don't want to mess with as a job. Do you know what happens once you get attached to drug dealing? If you drop out or do something wrong, you are dead. Now Bailey and I just want what's best for you and for you to be safe," I finished my rant.

Another sigh left his lips as he stared into my eyes. "I know, Valerie but there's no getting out of it now. The reason why I've been acting strange is because of the job. You are right, they are extremely hard on you. I have tried leaving and they threatened to hurt you kids if I tried again. I'm sorry but I can't stop now. I am still earning money which is good, but my life is in danger and that's why I have been distant," he huffed.