Little Do We Always Know

"Quick question..." Robert confronted Danish, "How long has your partner been stationed here with you?"

Danish took a moment to answer, "Almost a year..."

"What about your numbers?" he pointed out, "Why are they so far apart?"

"Because..." he answered, "I don't know. Maybe because she was stationed here. I don't control that."

Feeling like he didn't want to be bothered Robert left. "Okie Dokie Bro." Betty had been cleared without an explanation other than she's definitely not the one they are looking for.

*

Samantha was chatting it up with nurse Penny while Betty just listened, nodded and barely said anything until they were both left in the room. Before, Samantha didn't get to eat anything on account that she passed out for a few days, only surviving off of a mineral bag and if possible, being forcefed liquids. There was also the other problem of her teeth needing to be caped and either totally removed or replaced. Betty, when she was the nurse, use to feed her, take care of her like a pet, as if she were a daily chore.
But now that she knows this person, talks to her, laugh with her, for some reason, she got jealous. They would always be friends so to speak, she knew that, but she was more concerned with Samantha not knowing how she felt about her, or rather guilty about her being clueless to her surrounding.

Nurse Penny took her off to her first day of physical therapy in the training room. Now was about the time they brought in T.V and hang up a clock. While Robert and Danish did that, she sat on her bed thinking that it was almost time for Samantha to say goodbye to Riley. And that if she was this bord when she left for 'counselling once a week'.

*

The short days got longer. That's no thanks to the real time it takes for movies, sitcom's and documentaries to play. But it was a great conversation starter. Now they could discuss the realistic quality of character personalities and the less grounded story arc's of different worlds, creatures, the little spice in everyone's mundane life if you will or maybe the escape from it. But Betty mostly found herself looking over her right shoulder.

"Do you think she's pretty?" Samantha queried, referring to the lead actress in an angsty retelling of an adaptation of a novel. "Compared to the girl in the movie?"

"Yeah, I guess...?" she answered, "The girl from the movie was more gothish- pretty. The girl from the series is more...hipster-pretty with an angsty wardrobe."

"I don't understand those words." Samantha replied.

"Well, I don't know if I'm using them right. So it's on me." she commented, "But I guess, it has to do with whether or not you find her, attractive?"

"I don't... what do you mean?" Samantha asked her still feeling like she didn't answer the first question.

"How about the blonde guy? Does he tickle your fancy?" she said a bit flustered herself. "Or the Brunette? Or... Mr. Green eyes?"

"I...also don't understand those words. But there's something captivating about Markus' eyes. I get that." Samantha commented, "But Dr. Howard has green eyes with the 'nerd-hot' of the guy with the yellow hair...I don't think I'm supposed to like either of them...if that makes sense...?"

"Well...?!" she said a bit fustrated, "Who do you like?"

"Simon, because she reminds me of you." Samantha said with an innocent smile, "I wouldn't mind spending all my time getting to know her."

Betty blushed. She confirmed, "You mean...you like her, like-"

"--Yeah. Like I like you." Samantha interrupted, "Is that wrong?"

"Oh...No, I mean..." she took a second to think, "...Like holding hands, kissing, wanting to get married... feeling love or liking her more than the people around you?"

"Yeah, why not?..." Samantha looked at the screen again, "I guess, I could say the same thing for Simon and Jeremy. They're both attractive."

"So, the Brunette and the sidekick..." she said.

"Learn their names!" Samantha complained, "Third episode in and you don't remember them?"

"I'm sorry, the movie was more fast paste and interesting." she explained, "This drags on and it's more drama than action."

"So what? You forgot their names between scene's?" Samantha questioned her.

"Yeah..." she answered, "But I get the general plot. Just remind tell me if it's bad that Green eye's is protecting that totally evil fairy."

"He's the bad guy!" Samantha informed her, "The fairy Queen is good."

"How do you know that?" she defended, "Fairy's can be bad. They only look pretty. If I wanted to be secretly evil, I'd look like that."

*

"This is a conversation between two adults." Robert initiated while inviting himself to sit across from Danish in the cafeteria. "Can you agree with that?"

Danish responded neutral, "Fine, what do you want?"

"Jane and Iggy, have you been acquianted with them before?" he questioned him.

"No." he answered, "Why do you ask?"

"Well, you're quite, sociable when you want to, good on you by the way", he said with a stern face., "you've met as much people as Jerry ninety-nine and you're suspicious...rightfully so but, I know what I'm doing."

"Are you done flattering yourself?" Danish interrupted, a little insulted at him undermining him.

"Not yet." he continued, "You're nosey, but I think that's my fault at the moment."

"Yeah it is." Betty intervened. She sat proper next to Robert. And slid her unsalted 'hospital food' for two between Danish and Robert, while she munched on a potato chip. "Try it. I need to know if it lives up to the saying."

Robert glared at her. And Danish gave her food a try. She kept a simile on her face, waiting for Danish's response. Robert eventually gave in as well. They both agreed that it tasted like nothing. She took back her tray. "He's not your guy John." she said before she left for the cafeteria kitchen.

"I'd like to figure that out myself! A Fine thank you!" Robert yelled at her.

Betty was unchanged. Doing that sort of mischief was worth it. Danish was perplexed at their conversation and asked Robert, "What was that about?"

"I just... wanted to be friends, that's all." Robert ended the conversation, then left.

Danish responded, "What?"