Chapter 22 - Unmet expectations

Monday morning and I'm back at work, feeling like I was gone for months. Everything was unfamiliar to me, even the desk that I've been on for 2 years.

Matt and I were in touch as often as we could over the weekend, which usually meant late in the morning after he woke up and before he went out again to head to the beach or another party in Phuket.

He was having a blast and I didn't want to be his virtual party pooper so I often cut out chats short, urging him to make the most out of his trip. Deep inside I wished I could have enjoyed those experiences with him, but I didn't tell him that.

I noticed he didn't need much urging, though, and my insecurities always loom in the background especially when I see him tagged in photos with different girls, but I push the negative thoughts away again and again.

"I wish you went with me," he would tell me often with his sexy smile and I am immediately transported to our time in HongKong.

God, I missed him too, terribly.

----------

As the day wore off, I started to dread the inevitable grilling I'd get from my friends when we meet up after work.

But I knew I would never escape it, and postponing our meet up would only prolong my agony, so I just decided to face it today.

Michael was waiting for me in the lobby when I got off work a few minutes after 5 and we headed straight to our favorite cafe.

Livvie and Lisa were already there when we arrived and had even ordered drinks for us. These girls sure know their priorities.

I sighed and took the vacant chair in the middle. Time for take the hot seat.

"You know, we sent you to Hongkong to get over a break up healthily, not to go on a rebound," Lisa accused me immediately.

Livvie laughed, "Hey I have no problem with that. You can rebound all you want!"

"Just don't fall in love," Michael cautioned.

I kept quiet. If they wanted to do all the talking, that was fine with me. Better, even.

Liv suddenly elbowed me, "So who is he anyway? What's up with the couple pics in Disney?"

I grinned mischievously.

"Well...?" Lisa prodded.

After a brief consideration, I decided to just gloss over the details.

"A new friend," I finally said. "His name is Matt. We met at the hostel I stayed in."

Three pairs of eyebrows were raised, clearly disbelieving.

Michael's eyebrows probably shot up the highest as he glared at me challengingly.

"He said he wanted to join me in touring Disneyland, I said okay. That's it," I concluded.

Of the three, I felt closest to Michael. We had the same temperament, only he was a extrovert while I tend to keep mostly to myself, but we found that we think alike most of the time.