Chapter 11 - A penchant for red ears

He didn't bring up our exes or talk about being on a date after that. Thank goodness.

I haven't quite figured out how I feel about all this. Everything's moving too fast it's making my head spin.

Just yesterday I was being my usual boring self back home, and today not only am I in a different world, but I'm a totally different person - someone who could throw caution to the wind and go out with a stranger, someone capable of attracting a guy like Matt.

I feel like I just got transported to Narnia.

------------

We finished our drinks in comfortable silence then headed out.

It was almost midnight and there were fewer people on the street. I was starting to feel a bit cold when I felt something being placed on my shoulders.

It was Matt's jacket. And it smelled really good, a mixture of different scents I guess from his cologne, bath soap, and his own body.

I shook my head and tried to focus.

I realized it's not right for me to use it while he slowly freezes beside me so I moved to take it off but Matt stopped me.

"You look cold. Keep it on," he said.

I frowned, glancing at his thin shirt.

"How about you? Aren't you cold?" I protested.

"Sweetheart, this much cold doesn't bother me," he shrugged. "This is just like early spring in Canada."

Grateful for the extra layer to keep me warm, I gracefully accepted his jacket and smiled my thanks.

I hope he doesn't notice me trying to get small sniffs at the collar. I wouldn't know how I'll wiggle my way out of an explanation.

We slowly walked side by side, enjoying the night air and the quiet street.

"So what's the plan for tomorrow?" He suddenly asked.

I was lost for a bit then I remembered he mentioned something this morning about going together to Disneyland.

"Well, I'm still thinking of going to Disneyland. Are you up for it?" I asked him back.

"Of course! I've been looking forward to it all day," he exclaimed.

I highly doubt that.

He must have read my expression because he quickly grinned.

"Actually I don't care where we go, as long as we get to go together," he explained.

There it was again - that pull that's getting harder and harder to resist.

What's going on with me? I feel like a teenager experiencing her first crush.

Scratch that - I feel like a teenage nerd experiencing her first crush on the most popular guy in school who also happened to be the captain of the football team and the son of a CEO of a big corporation.

Talk about cliches. I need to re-write this script before I fall into the fairy tale trap again.

I stopped walking and turned around to face him.

"Matt," I began. "I'm not used to this, the constant flirting."

He stopped walking as well, turned around to face me and bent to move his face closer to mine.

"Believe it or not, neither am I," he said seriously. "It just comes out of me when I talk to you, I can't help it."

Yeah, it was hard to believe. He was such a natural flirt it was a challenge to picture him otherwise. I silently debated whether to pursue this line of conversation, but all led to the conclusion that makes me look like I'm fishing for compliments.

"Maybe it's because I like seeing your ears turn red when you get shy," he suddenly teased, smiling mischievously and ending my silent internal debate.

I pushed him away.

"You've been doing that on purpose!" I glared at him.

"Guilty as charged," he grinned.

"You look so cute when it happens. I'm going to take a picture of you like that next time," he promised.

And despite the cold air, I felt the damned ears start to heat up again. I tried to cover them with my hands and turned to walk away.

He ran after me and pulled at my hands while laughing, trying to take a picture with his phone at the same time.

I glared at him again. Didn't work.

"Awww, come on. Don't cover them," he coaxed.

He kept tugging until I gave in and let my hands fall down to my sides.

I stuck out my tongue at him and true to his word, he took the damn photo.

I thought that was the end of it and started walking again.

But he didn't let go of my hand and just matched my pace, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

---------

As we reached the entrance of the hostel, I tried to pull my hand away as I turned to bid him goodnight.

He squeezed it tighter and didn't let go. "I'll walk you to your room."

"What time do you want to head out tomorrow?" He asked as we walked to our rooms.

"Is 7am okay with you?" I checked.

He nodded "I'll come by your room and pick you up."

We reached the door of my room and I was about to say goodbye when he pulled me closer.

I looked up at him and froze at the intensity of his gaze.

Is he going to kiss me? Should I let him? Will it end with just a kiss or will it lead to something more? Am I ready for that?

So many questions were racing through my head.

We stood on the corridor like that for what felt like hours then he shook his head as if trying to wake himself up and cleared his throat.

"I, uh, I'll see you tomorrow," he said.

He bent over and kissed me on the forehead, and I felt a current run through my body.

"Goodnight," he said and turned to go to his room.

I stared at his retreating figure until I finally managed to get my legs to move and went inside my room.

***********

Author's Note :

On the playlist : "Everything has Changed" Taylor Swift feat. Ed Sheeran