ventisette

"You look good baby."

I glared at Colton. It was obviously a lie. It's been a week since I had my surgery. I was stupid enough to believe I would ever look the way I did before. I had black stitches across my left cheek. The skin inside the circle of stitches was a pale pink while my face was tan. I looked like a monster. The horror didn't stop there. Most of my skin was new and baby pink.

I angrily threw the mirror across the floor.

"I want to go home now."

I empathized the word now so Colton would know I wanted to leave immediately.

"I'll let them know."

I had only been here a week, but it felt like forever when you're trapped in a small room all day. I complained about it to Colton and he made the nurse grab a wheelchair so I could get out some, but the Christmas decorations only depressed me more. As a child I loved Christmas. I would wake up early, my family would come over and we would open presents before watching holiday movies. Everything changed as I grew up. It was now a sad reminder that I didn't have family and Christmas became just another day.

"Let's get you ready to go." Colton said interrupting my depressing thoughts.

Colton stripped off my hospital gown and helped me change into normal clothes. I wouldn't be able to even dress myself for awhile since I had to be careful not to irritate my new skin.

When we arrived home I groaned loudly. There were Christmas decorations everywhere. A huge tree was standing in the foyer. I couldn't even see the top of it.

"Happy to be home?"

"No. I hate Christmas."

I walked over to the window staring at the snow falling to the ground. I loved snow. I wanted to go play in it, but Colton would probably tackle me before I could even get to the door. No more cold weather for me.

"Next week will be here before you know it." He grinned.

I raised my eyebrows confused. Next week? I had no idea what day it even was. My calendar seemed pretty empty.

"Christmas!"

He knew I hated Christmas, but he was still excited.

"Yay!"

"Time to start celebrating now. Your gift is upstairs."

"You didn't have to get me anything."

"I got you a lot of things so thank you for pretending to be happy."

I would have to get Grace to run out and get Colton's present. Anytime anything happened to me Colton wouldn't let me out of his sight for weeks.

I picked up the large box that was tipped over on the ground. Opening it I discovered it was empty.

"Is this a joke?" I laughed.

"No. Shit!" He yelled as he started looking around.

I laughed as he checked the bathroom and crawled under the bed.

"Here it is. Close your eyes."

I closed my eyes and stretched out my hand. I wasn't sure what to expect. A bracelet maybe?

I nearly jumped as something heavy and furry was dropped into my hands. I felt something wet dripping down my legs.

"A puppy!"

I looked down at the soft furry bundle now sitting on my lap. She was a small German Shepherd puppy.

"I'm naming her Mia."