Four

Chapter 4

Not for the first time this week I was awoken by a flash of light.

"Seriously?" I mumbled with my eyes still shut.

There was another flash. This time I forced my eyes open.

"Okay, I'm awake!"

Cole was laughing wildly as he stared at the camera screen.

"Even twice, this is still hilarious!" He exclaimed with the happiness of a 3 year-old receiving candy.

"Where the hell am I?" I asked, finally noticing that I wasn't by the pool anymore.

"My room, hence the name on the wall," He replied casually; pointing at the wall to his right. Sure enough, his name was imprinted on the wall in a thick, black font that directly contrasted the bedroom's white and blue theme.

"And how exactly did I get here?"

"Why, I carried you here of course."

"You what?"

"I carried-"

"I know, I heard you... But... no... how?"

"Well, if you really need to know. I just kind of-"

"Not literally... I mean, wasn't I heavy..."

"No such thing!" He shouted; dramatically flinging his arms in the air.

I stopped talking and just stared at the ceiling. I thought about asking him what time it was but noticed that he had an alarm clock on his bedside table that displayed the digits 15:47. I had been asleep for three hours!

"What did you do after you brought me here?" I asked

"I slept some more." He replied.

"Oh..."

I was still wearing my black bikini top and blue mini-board-shorts. I wasn't surprised when I found that his bed was damp from my swim suit and moved to get up. I crossed the room and opened what I guessed was the door that would lead me into a hallway and not his bathroom.

"I want a sandwich. Let's go." I said half-way through the exit.

Cole chuckled and followed me down the hall.

"How do you already know your way around this place? You've only been here twice," He asked.

"I don't." I replied with a smile.

We continued walking down the never-ending hallway until the staircase came into view. It was split down the middle where two different stairways descended into a spacious foyer.

After another five minutes, and a hell of a lot of wrong-turns, we walked into the kitchen. I'm sure you're wondering why Cole didn't just tell me where to go but I guessed it was because he enjoyed seeing me make so many mistakes and it was a good way to waste time.

He grabbed the bread from a counter as I opened the fridge and scavenged for some fillings. Another thing I learned about rich people: they always had a fully stocked fridge.

"You like mayo?" I asked him.

"Fuck no," He replied, clearly disgusted. "Why, do you?"

"I don't even know why it was created. Tastes like shit."

I continued gathering a random assortment of fillings: tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, ketchup (you never know) and some ham and chicken slices. We arranged the items on the island and I started picking out the fillings that I wanted.