Funeral For Friends

By the order of Lemmy and the Tropical Knights, who had been deemed fit to be released by Oleg, swallowed their horror and prepared to gather the remains of Devin.

"Oleg you are unlike no other," said Lemmy profoundly, as he wiggled off his last tie. "If all my gold is not enough to pay for the pain I have caused, then I offer my life to you too."

It had been a common thread for Oleg and his friends. Although comforting he felt overawed, unable to respond to such a sacred promise that most of Junipo had already given him.

"Please it's fine," managed Oleg. His head drummed with a dull thud. It was a tiring to process it.  There was an abundance of change happening around him.

Once Kai's ties were unbound, he launched himself at Oleg and gave him a brotherly hug. Gone was the smug and distaste that gazed upon Oleg every time he saw him. His smile was warm, modest, though water began to pool in the corner of his eyes. The news of his uncle's death made him feel terribly weak. It brought back the bond he had once shared with his uncle, that flourished in his early years. His quest for power and the expectation of success, had veiled the pureness in his heart. It had made him blind and destroy the bond that connected him to his family.

"A thousand apologies blessed from almighty Pyra is what I give to you, brother." Kai sounded strangely overjoyed; proud of who Oleg had become. He had been humbled by Oleg and knew he had to live with the deeds he had done to Yardells. Time would heal and his actions had brought him to a self-realisation.

"Kai I forgive you, mate," said Oleg. He gave his former envy a warm smile. However, it was foreign for him to say that. They were words he'd never thought he'd say to him. In his mind, resentment would have been his initial choice, though he had also been taken back by what had transpired.

As each Knight was unbound from their ties, flew at Oleg and his friends with stammers and uncomfortable admissions of "I don't know what was wrong with me." It had reached the stage where it had bounced around the town like an infectious strength. It had well and truly, quelled the animosity, distrust and ridicule Oleg was familiar with.

Oleg knew now was the time to move ahead. Let bygones be bygones.

It was what Pyra and Grewir would have have wanted.

Most importantly, it was what Devin would have wanted too.

The manpower of the town quickly came to work. Piles upon piles of sticks and kindle were gathered for cremation, all of which were collected by the young and old. The remains of Devin rested upon tightly strung palm leaves. His body was elevated three metres above the impending bonfire below, precise and purposeful to match the number of completion. The angles of pyre resembled the shape of a pyramid.

Amongst the macabre surroundings and reverent light, Lemmy moved near the pyre with a slumped head. A choked sigh expired from his nostrils, flicking a blob of snot near his feet. With sadness, he look up and scanned the shadowed faces. His gaze rested upon Devin, his wife Gina and their son Kai, who was stood close to them as if he was attached his mother's side.

"First and foremost, if you done so already, you must give your more genuine apologies to Oleg and his most bravest of friends for their heroics tonight."

Chatter arose as those who had not done their due diligence, looked for Oleg amongst crowd.
"But now", said Lemmy raising voice amongst the panic, " we are here to farewell one of own. A brother to us all, though a friend or relative to some."

"Devin LePure did what Bounders haven't chosen to do for hundreds of years; sacrifice themselves for someone else. Alas, I admit I am the king of this deed and it was me who led you down this path of mistrust, selfishness, lies and foreshadowing misery. On behalf of the Bounders, I take full responsibility of Devin's death."
"Lemmy no!" cried out Oleg, rushing to the edge of the crowd.

"Oleg please." Lemmy stared at him with a broken spirit. It was like he had aged twenty years within seconds. His guilt had worn him thin.

Oleg bit the inside of his cheek, slicing them to a subtle trickle. The copper tinge made him twinge.

It should be me on that pyre, he thought to himself. Fate however was a quick reminder that sadly things were meant to be.

Jane wrapped her arms around his waist, gently pulling him back. Her breath on his neck was soothing. It had the perfection of a cooling breeze on a scorching day.

"Thank you," he whispered. She was the rudder to keep his life's journey steady. Her grip became lovingly tighter.

"The lies that I was entrusted to hide, by some elitist tradition, caused a death that could have been avoided. Perhaps the sorcerer may not have struck? Perhaps I wouldn't feel the disgust I feel now for letting Oleg be treated the way he was. I knew you were special son. I was just too scared to acknowledge you. I was too stubborn to allow others see you how incredible you were too."

In that moment, his body felt warm. The enclosed bodies of his parents smothered him. It was comforting that his parents were now safe from this entire ordeal. Oleg became small child and buried himself in his parents' embrace. Ivan nodded at Lemmy, resolving their previous issues in an instant. Having his son accepted changed everything for him.

"That is why before we set the pyre alight and send Devin to Pyra I find it only fitting to hand the reigns over from the Knights to Oleg and the remaining Urthkai. They are the ones who deserve to protect us, guide us and lead us into a new age, for nothing can hurt us with them by our side."

"For Urthkai," called out Kai. His fist was clenched and raised to the heavens with triumph.

"FOR THE URTHKAI!" joined in the town, booming their newly accepted proclamation across the land.

Jane was too wrapped up in Oleg to understand what had happened.

Dom boomed out celebratory hollers that made children and adults in the back row instinctively shuddered at their cries. He apologised to a little Bounder girl. She happily gave him a Blue Tolipo flower; a symbol of friendship on Juniper Island. It's dainty petals looked like specks of glitter in his burly hand.

After the rejoice, Kalvin and Kai gave Devin a fitting kiss on the forehead. By the command of Lemmy, the Knights were given permission to throw their tiki torches below. The father and son wallowed in each others 'arms, letting their tears flow like long awaited rain. Its heat chased the cold atmosphere away.

As for Oleg, he was entranced by it all, hypnotised by the dancing flames of the pyre. His tear ducts wouldn't let him cry for joy. His emotions couldn't be expressed in the form of a mere mortal like himself.

Even a demigod wouldn't know how to react.

Hey everyone, I hope you liked this chapter. I hope it was worth the wait. Everything is coming together and how great is this new society being built on Juniper Island.

How was the acts of forgiveness towards Oleg? Does it surprise how society on Juniper Island has or is about to change?

Please leave comments, vote and share this story. It would mean so much for me.

Lots of Love,

JA