From Sweet To Sour

Pineapple Lake was a myriad of cacti. The lake itself should of been named after the prickly pears surrounding it.  Due to the discovery of the delicious fruit around it's shores Pineapple Lake was deemed more fitting.

Getting to the Lake was quite easy. The simple trek along the coastline to the pebble path could lead an amateur adventurer there. However the problem for the group would be rummaging through the clumps of cacti that stretched around the five kilometre lake. Nonetheless, they were confident the next clue could be found in one day.

Well..almost everyone did.

"I give up. Let just give up," said Oleg hunching his back.

"We haven't been that long mate. The sun has hardly move," said Lior prodding his friend in the back. His finger sunk into him as if he had entered jelly.

"You mind not touching me. I'm not in the mood," said Oleg through clenched teeth.

Don't worry. You're not as fat as you think you are.

Oleg felt calm again. He had quite gotten use to talking to Hudson. The small fella was a voice of reason for him. He shared his insecurities with him telepathically along the way to Pineapple Lake. It felt nice to be able to talk someone in private who was as supportive as him.

"Chill mate. Lets all settle down on the bank of Lake and have something to eat."

"Yay! Blue potatoes," said Hudson. He danced in a circle. A pair of potatoes, hidden in his sackcloth, were juggled hand into hand as he rejoiced.

As Hudson continued his antics, Lior assigned himself to the task of learning to juggle. Oleg however found a tree stump near the shoreline to sit on. He stared at his feet watching the waves gently foam around his toes. Tinges of green reflected off the lake creating a meadow of flat water. The scenery had brought him to ease. It allowed him to reassure himself that the next clue could be found.

Me thinks that's much better. His quiet voice didn't disturb Oleg but rather complimented his current mood.

I agree Huddy. I agree.

"It's a nice colour. What would you call it?," asked Jane sitting down on bank. Her arrival had scuffled a few pebbles into the Lake. It caused the water to bubble as they disturbed a school of fish. The interruption dispersed them into  a sparkling stream of silver.

"Aqua I guess. It's perfect a combination of blue and green."

Jane held Oleg's hand. His mouth went dry with her touch. Her palms were softer than he had imagined. The softness of eyes dove right into his soul. They were more innocent than he had seen before. Oleg could only compare her to an angel.

"How interesting, but not as interesting as you."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Oleg you mean a lot to me. You brought me into this world, you have been watching over me non stop and to me you're simply wonderful. You were amazing on Ivory Beach."

"Okay," said Oleg scratching his head. "But there's more to it isn't there?"

"Yes," said Jane softly. Her innocence made Oleg clutch his heart. "I think what I am trying to say is that I like you. I have decided I like you a lot."

"Kazinga!"

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up. Was this truly Jane? Jane was practically an alien  unaware and oblivious to the world around her. Though as the days passed she had transformed into a native of Juniper Island. She had soaked up every ounce of information and understood as quick as it came in. It seemed she had turned into an individual and no longer the avid student wanting to know more. There was another side she wanted to explore. One which seemed to involve liking Oleg more than he thought.

"How so? I mean you never gave me any signs."

"Signs? I didn't know I had to. I guess this liking thing is harder than I pictured it to be."

"Trust me, I know it can get very complicated."

"I never thought there would be complications. I thought it was just a matter of doing this."

Jane closed her eyes and leant into Oleg. She puckered her lips like a fish. There was a slight nervous twitch in the corner of her mouth. The sight of that lessened the fear inside of him. Oleg  could feel the jolts of nervous energy beginning to power his current state of mind.

Is this really happening?, thought Oleg. What if she doesn't like it?

He couldn't think clearly. His heart was too busy racing and bouncing off the walls of his rib cage. The nervousness that seemingly always swirled inside him had broken the river bank between calm and anxious.

"Be brave," he whispered to himself.

Oleg squeezed his eyes shut to the point where his facial muscles shook. His lips crumpled ready to do what his heart desired. Jane with her eyes still shut, guided herself to him. The sound of the vigorous sucking of air into his nose was a dead giveaway as to where he was.

Is this a dream?, Oleg thought. He expected Hudson to answer. His lack of interference didn't seem odd to Oleg. He only had one worry in his mind.

Give Jane a kiss she'll sure to remember; hopefully for the right reasons of course.

And with his wish their lips came together. The moist sensation caused Oleg to feel a buzz of euphoria fill all his senses. If his eyes were opened he could picture Jane and himself floating on a cloud. To his surprise, Jane grabbed him by the neck drawing the romantic moment further.

This is heaven, thought Oleg savouring his triumph. The Oaf had finally broken out of the shackles of hopelessness. 

How did she learn how to kiss like this? he thought. 

A splash disturbed the moment.

The lovers opened their eyes in together and saw Hudson bobbing in the water. His drenched finger pointed to the bank.

What stood before them was unlike anything Oleg had seen.

Formed from white and earthen red soil appeared to be a primate of some sort. Its resemblance was uncanny to a gorilla, however these creatures had long gone from the island. They had been extinct for more than a decade.

The sight of couple made its eyes glow a fluorescent yellow. It widened its mouth revealing rows of jagged rocks. A thunderous roar that rivalled a lion echoed from the primate.

Oleg and Jane couldn't move. The presence of the beast had frozen their limbs solid.

They were helpless. Hudson was struggling to swim while Lior was nowhere to be seen. 

Hopeless was the only word to describe the scene.