The Poor Prisoner

Oxygen was a stifled commodity for Ivan in his prison cell. The scent of moulded brickwork lingered in the air, filling his nostrils with each inhale. As each second ticked by, the increasing nausea made the situation even more dire.

Claustrophobia had settled in as well. The dimensions of the cell was a mere two metres by two metres block. He had sworn the walls were closing in, but reminded himself the odour of the mould was more likely the culprit at play. 

Unbeknownst to them, what made Ivan and Ursula's situation more tragic was their location. They were hidden in the depths of Bounders Forest. The prison was a secret asset for the Knights for as long as they had existed. 

The trap door  to the establishment was masked by a circle of juniper trees, each of which were bent over, giving it a perfect disguise. A  triangle was engraved on the door, making it unmistakably associated with the Tropical Knights. In most cases, three heaves were required to pry open the heavy door.

Once access had been gained, a spiral staircase twisted its way down into the Island's core. At the bottom, fading torchlight dimly the ten cells. They were guarded by Tropical Knights, who were undisturbed by whatever movement or noise they heard. Guarding the cell was their sole focus as if it was only function that existed in their brain.

Ursula remained near the entrance in cell number four, while Ivan was guarded in cell number nine. At present, they were the only two prisoners occupying the cells but around the time of the purge, countless Urthkai were brought here and disappeared over night. What happened to them was one of the most protected secrets kept by the Knights. The elder Bounders simply believed the Urthkai had moved elsewhere.  There was no doubt that the truth would unshackle the portrait of peace that the Tropical Knights had cleverly painted on the island. Hence the upmost of effort was used to hide it.  

The clang of metal sent shivers through Ivan ears. It was his cell door, which had finally been open by Lemmy and Devin. It finally broke his hours of loneliness. Beforehand, Kai and It had been torture to not touch, talk or let alone be able to give Ursula a smile. She was his rock and like sandstone he was starting to crumble.

"Good to see you're in fine health," said Lemmy walking over to him with his hands tucked behind his back. He knelt down eying off the weariness on his prisoner's face. Solemn was the perfect word to him; bags of restless sleep under his eyes and lingering expressions of defeat.

Ivan rolled his shoulders as he let out a sorrowful sigh. He stretched his neck towards Lemmy and looked at him as if he had no soul left in him. He felt empty, hopeless and above all, a pathetic excuse for a parent. Although he was concerned for his safety, he believed Oleg was the one in true danger. Drowning at the bay was a fate that Ivan and Ursula luckily avoided, but for their son it would would surely be a different case.

"Don't play games" said Ivan drawing the words out in tired breathes.

"There's no games here Ivan, I just want you to tell me where that Oaf is." Lemmy crinkled his nose at Ivan as if he smelt putrid.

Ivan focused his attention onto a crack on the wall opposite to him. He smiled. It was an attempt to hide his fears. "As I said I don't know. Last time I saw him was the morning he left. That was about two days ago."

"Not good enough," said Lemmy holding his chin directly in front of his face. Ivan screwed up his face. He only wished his eyes could burn him with the fire he had suddenly felt inside. "You are lying! He is your son and you know where he is."

"You have held me long enough! I tell the truth and nothing but the truth."

Lemmy squeezed his face as if he was extracting juice from an orange. Foamy spittle collected in the corner Ivan's mouth. The tight grip on his cheeks forced his entire face to tremble.

Ivan couldn't help it anymore.

He pushed off his legs with all his might and went flying head first into Lemmy's chin. His head flung back as if someone had yanked him from behind. A splat followed him as his gelatinous frame hit the cell floor. Ivan landed on his stomach with a flop; a sound that echoed his captor's fall. 

Devin stood their frozen as he watched it all happen in slow motion in the wavering light. He was baffled by what he had just witnessed.

"Devin do something!" Lemmy cried whilst nursing his chin.

He heeded his master's command, snapping out his trance, and remembered what he had brought with him.

Devin had an instrument, that only the Tropical Knights knew that existed on the island. A stick with a coconut on it, the size of an adult fist, was a device used to extract information. It was better know by the Knights as the Sin Sapper and it was pivotal in helping retrieve confessions from Imprisoned Urthrkai. It allowed the Knights to round them up with ease.

The Sin Sapper came down upon Ivan's back with a vicious thwack. A low groan exited Ivan. The impact sent a convulsion through him as if he had been electrocuted.

Ivan chose to lay there.

He let out the tears that had built up in the corner eyes to finally flow. Saltiness touched his lips, adding a fitting companion to his dry throat. It was too much effort to do anything.

He was glad Ursula couldn't see him now. He hoped Oleg was safe too. The fear of his son being brought to this decrepit establishment made his innards weak.

A familiar sizzle crackled in his ears. A green glow bounced off the walls opposite to him. His pupils dilated when saw the stones in front of his face. He strained his neck and saw Devin holding the vetir, pulsing in his palm.

Within a second, Ivan's head slumped forward gently resting on the floor. He chewed the air with the happiness of a content baby. Snoring instantaneously followed.

Devin pursed his lips, reflecting on the deed he just had done. For the first time since being a Knight he felt hollow inside, but before could reflect on this new found feeling, a nasally voice interrupted his pause for thought.

"Right," said Lemmy pinching his nose and holding his head back, "it seems the Liebergs are next."

"Yes sir," he replied hastily.

In his mind the image of his brother had appeared.