The Cave

The rumble of thunder awoke Lorne from his senses. Goosebumps covered his body. He was on his back shivering in the darkness around him. His fingers felt the surface in which his body was laying upon. It was rough, cold to touch and sturdy.

He sat up holding his head. It almost pounded in rhythm with the heavy raindrops he could hear.

It was still dark but flashes of light could be seen a few metres away.

 A crack of lightning hit what sounded like a tree. Lorne let out a gasp. In that brief moment the strike had lit up his surroundings.

He was in a cave. Drawings of rounded bodies and tall trees decorated its walls. They were white, red, brown; the colours of the earth and soil. 

 He had never seen paintings like these before. The sight of them were hypnotic. 

A hand grabbed him by the arm breaking him out his trance. He felt the sensation of nails digging into his skin.

"Lorne where the heck are we?"

He looked down and in the dim light could make out it was a sobbing Tina.

"I don't know baby but I know one thing for sure; we ain't staying."

"Oh Lorney", she said pressing her body against his shoulder. The warmth of her drove Lorne to kiss her on the lips.

His hands ran through her hair. Their chests rested on one another feeling each other's heartbeat. In that passionate moment, he felt different from any other time they had been together. For six months they had dated being with one each other almost every day of the week. A feeling contentment filled his body. It was as if she was reenergising him like the source of fuel that he needed.

Quite simply for the first time he could admit to himself he loved her. Nothing was going to stop him and his girl.

With the grip of his hand they raced towards the cave entrance. Lorne had tunnel vision. He had no time to take in any other clues that might help him work out where they were.

As they continued to run, Tina knocked her leg on a rock. The impact brought her to her knees. She let out an exhausted moan. She placed her hand on the wound and it felt wet. Blood soaked her hand. A flash of lightning in the distance revealed it had stained deep into her palm lines.

"Honey let me carry you", said Lorne who had stopped running. He placed his hand on her cheek. Tina looked up  catching the outline of his face in the flashes of light beyond them. She adored how full his lips were. They were perfect to kiss when she needed him the most.

With that thought, she placed hers upon his. A rush of warmth travelled to her limbs. It urged her to move on. The adrenaline muted her pain.

"No, I am strong enough babe."

She drove her hand into the culprit of the wound lifting her to her feet. The throbbing was absent in her leg. She reminded herself she had the strength to carry on.

Lorne ran towards where the light was shining. Tina followed closely behind limping.

Their escape though had quickly appeared. The roar of thunder welcomed them to unknown surroundings. Bolts of lightning zigzagged across the darkness above them.

Rain soaked their bodies the moment they bursted out of the cave. Moisture tingled all the sensations on their skin. It was as if someone had poured a bucket of water on them. The sound of sloshing followed them with each pace. The muddied ground made their feet feel like they  were frozen.

The trees around them swayed violently. The gusts of wind boughed some of them to the point of almost breaking.

A thick branch fell in front of Lorne causing him  to quickly change his direction. He had been running in a straight line unaware of any danger that could await him.

Unfortunately, he had chosen the worst way possible.

A lit up sky and defining boom showed he was racing towards a cliff. It left him speechless.

Lorne ploughed his feet into the mud trying to slow down his momentum. He slid an inch forward. Below him an abyss awaited. No speck of light could be seen. He closed his eyes and released a sigh of relief as he came to a stop.

Suddenly, a thud in his back pushed him head first over the edge.

He was free falling; Weightless with cold wind pushed into his gums.

He let out a scream. The pain was equal to sandpaper rubbing in his throat. It was matched by a a piercing scream. He could guess that it was Tina plummeting to her death too. He could take comfort in the fact they were going down together.

Surprisingly, the fate he expected wasn't to be. 

He was dangling. There was something tightening around his sternum. The shock of  the entire experience made him faint.

On the cliff edge above, a shrouded figure floated. It's red eyes peered down admiring its work.

"Not even death can rescue you", it whispered to itself.