The Choice

A pale white complexion took over Tina's face as she gazed upon her captor. She felt physically sick from the ordeal and didn't know what she was looking at. The glare of the gem light obscuring her vision also made it difficult to identify who it was.

Lorne, who had somehow recovered from his rough landing as if it never happened, responded to the  horror by tightly holding her in his arms.

"Away Oaf," said Lorne to Erasmus, flashing his eyes at him as if he were a foul creature.

"You think I am an Oleg the Oaf? You are merely mistaken; I am Erasmus the Excellency. The kidnapper who brought you into this dismay." He held his chin high. His smugness made Lorne feel dirty. Erasmus pointed his finger behind Lorne and Tina, directing at Oleg. "There's the Oaf you are after."

The couple slowly stood up and turned  around to see who was behind them.

Sure enough, Lorne was surprised to find out that Erasmus was telling the truth. His focus wandered onto Oleg, then to the others, raising his eyebrows at all them. He was unsure what to make of the Urthkai. They obviously weren't Bounders but maybe they were working with Erasmus. It was too much for his brain to take. It hurt just thinking about it. He was compelled not to discuss it.

As for Tina, she immediately spotted Lior and ran over to him. They shared a friendly cuddle. Colour had been restored to her small cheeks. Lorne looked on in a daze, still stuck in his confused state. It was impossible to tell if he was jealous, as his mind was struggling to keep pace with what was happening.

"Lior what are you doing here? What is this place? And who are these ah... things," said Tina darting her eyes nervously at the Urthkais. Her inner thoughts came out like a mess. Oleg and the others tried not to give her eye contact, with stillness and resolution similar to a gargoyle.

"Ease up Tina; I'll tell you soon enough. You are safe with us," said Lior. Deep down inside he was as anxious as her, but if they were to survive, Erasmus's game had to be played.

"Yes, you are safe!" said Erasmus smirking at the shock Lorne and Tina were in. "Perhaps I need to recount what has been said."

"That would great," said Lorne quietly too himself. He stared into the darkness, unwilling to acknowledge the obscure scenes around him.

"Look into my eyes newlings, I will tell you truths that have been buried by your kind for years."

Lorne adjusted his attention to Erasmus. His eyes made him nervous; a feeling he was unfamiliar with. He was always able to muster courage, but it was as if Erasmus had stolen that from him.

Tina stood close to Lior, placing her hand on top of his. Lorne was facing away and didn't spot her small act of deceit. It was a situation Lior felt uncomfortable in. Nonetheless, he pretended it was fine. Tina needed strength and being awkward wouldn't be helpful to her.

Erasmus retold his story with the same crazed manner as he did before. It almost felt like they had stepped back in time with Tina and Lorne as their guests. As the revelations were told, Lorne slowly broke out of his frozen state. At first he was angry but quickly accepted what had been told. Realistically, he knew paradise was never as perfect as it seems.

Tina felt disgusted. It was hard to fathom why her ancestors would do such terrible things. She wondered why two groups couldn't live in harmony with one another. The goodness she saw in her society had crumbled into grains of sand. At first she was non-believer, but as Erasmus spoke Lior and Oleg reassured her he was telling the truth.

"But why involve us?" asked Tina, whimpering like an injured animal.

Erasmus revelled in her displeasure. The Bounders were slowly beginning to pay.