Chapter 57

Seeing Darren in court was a lot harder than I had imagined. Seeing him there, with my mom, smirking and licking his lips made me want to throw up. My brother paid for my lawyer who happened to be Becca's uncle. He was kind enough to give me a discounted rate and he helped me prepare a lot. He asked me questions that he thought Darren's lawyers would ask and we would practice my responses.

Everything lasted about two weeks and every day I dreaded going back in there. It was humiliating having to be questioned by his lawyers and then having to talk in detail about what happened. This was just the beginning though because my mom was also being tried for child abandonment and trafficking. I also would have to testify against Gino. Fortunately, those dates weren't until after graduation, so I had some time to prepare without also dealing with finals at school.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Peters."

I stood up, wiping my sweating hands on my dress. I was so nervous for the Judge to read the verdict. Part of me felt like he wasn't going to get as much time as I thought he would, and he'd be out again to hurt me. The judge walked in and sat on his chair. He fiddled with papers on his desk and cleared his throat. F*ck. Just say it already. But don't. I don't want to hear it if it means that Darren gets off easy.

My heart is racing and I dig my nails into my palms out of habit.

Stop, Lyssa, you don't need to do that anymore. I extend my fingers out and instead fiddle with the hem of my dress.

"In the case of the People of the State of Oregon versus Darren Richter, I find the defendant guilty on all charges. I sentence the defendant to life in prison without parole," he slams his gavel, "court adjourned."

I heard the words come out of the judge's mouth but my brain is having trouble processing them.

I bundled into a huge embrace from Ash and things start to kick in. I cannot believe this.

I. Cannot. Believe. This.

"It's over," he shouts as he spins me in the air.

A smile stretches across my face and I nod in agreement when he sets me back onto the floor. I watch as Darren is placed in handcuffs and escorted out of the room.

"Hey," Becca says and I turn to face her. "You did it, I'm so happy for you Lyssa.

"Thanks, Becca," and I turn to her uncle, my attorney, "Thank you so much, Marc, I couldn't have done this without you."

"My pleasure," he says placing his files into his briefcase with a smile.

I walk into the bench area and Ryder wraps his arms around me. I squeeze him tight and tears of relief escape my eyes.

"Lys, you're safe," he says into my hair.

I nod my head against his chest and finally pull back smiling. He wipes a tear from my cheek and Ash's arm drapes across my shoulders.

"Let's get outta here."

I follow them out of the courthouse and slow down my pace as everyone starts to descend the staircase outside the building.

"Ryder, wait!"

He turns back and looks at me worriedly.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I--I uh--" I pause nervously and stare into his green eyes. He's searching my face for answers and my heart starts to race.

Do it, Lyssa!

I lean onto my tiptoes and lick my lips before crushing them against his. His body freezes with shock but quickly relaxes against my touch and he starts to kiss me back.

I wrap my arms around his neck and lace my fingers into his hair. His hand finds my cheek and my whole body erupts into fire.

I pull away and take in his smiling expression.

"I love you," I say confidently.

"I love you too," he says bringing our lips back together impatiently.

--------------------------------The End.
A/N check out my latest releases Becoming Sky, Old Me and Fighting the Disquiet for even more feels. 💕