Chapter 9

A/N picture is meant to represent Ash.

After three days of not being able to shower properly, you could say that I was beyond excited to be able to bathe myself without the help of a nurse. Of course, I couldn't really face the shower head with the four inches of stitches that were running across my abdomen, but it felt amazing to finally have a second to myself. Since Ash arrived three days ago, nothing has really calmed down.

The police came to speak to me about my car being towed and such and of course, they had to determine if I was under the influence when I was driving. Everyone I asked kept insisting that there was no other car present at the scene of the accident, and since there were no cameras in the area, they have no way of corroborating my story.

I didn't say that is was him, and I gave up trying to prove myself after the first day when I decided that I must have imagined the whole thing in some sort of state of shock. I mean I did hit my head pretty hard in the accident.

Ash didn't leave my side the first night, but I forced him to go to work the next day because I didn't want to burden him and honestly I just wanted to be alone. He stayed last night again, but was gone before I woke up. They said that I can be discharged this evening provided nothing changes with my vitals.

I'm not really looking forward to going home though. Mostly because my mom said when she visited me yesterday that Darren was coming home tomorrow. She said he had been delayed in getting out because of some paperwork or something. Or maybe he was healing from crashing into my car? Ugh, I don't know what to think. It felt so real, but apparently, he's been in prison this whole time, so I guess it couldn't have been him and like the police said, I just lost control of the car.

The hospital stay has been a nice break from school though, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I was brushing my hair when I heard someone knock on the door. Still standing in my towel, I open the door to find my nurse Catherine and Ryder staring at me.

I cling my towel closer to my body and Catherine moves to block Ryder's view.

"Sorry, Lyssa, I was just letting you know you had a visitor. I can have him wait outside?" Catherine says embarrassed.

"Oh, it's okay Catherine. I'll just be out in a second." I close the door praying the heat in my cheeks wasn't visible from where Ryder was standing.

I quickly apply a fresh dressing over my stomach and throw on the only other clean pair of sweats Ash brought me and one of his t-shirts. Of course, they were very baggy on me, but they were so comfortable and smelled like Ash's cologne and lavender laundry soap.

I open the door and smile as Ryder awkwardly juts up from the little couch he is sitting on.

"You can stay seated, I'm not the queen," I say sarcastically.

He smirks and returns to a comfortable position on the couch. I walk over to my bed and lean against it.

"So," I say. "What brings you to my humble abode?"

He checks the time on his expensive watch and meets my gaze with his deep green eyes.

"I was just in the area and wanted to make sure you were still alive," he says nonchalantly. "I mean the last time I saw you, you were pretty banged up."

"Gee, thanks. Well, I'm still alive and kicking." An awkward silence fills the air and I can't help but wonder if he actually cares that I'm no longer close to death. I take in what he's wearing and assume that he's either got practice or a game. His fitted track pants leave little to be imagined with his calf muscles clearly defined and his biceps were practically ripping the seams of his shirt apart.

"Like what you see?" he asks cockily, clearly aware of me checking him out. Wait, what? No, I was not checking him out.

"What?" I ask shocked. "You're so conceded." I roll my eyes and restrain from looking at him.

"Well, this is a very stimulating conversation, but I'm afraid I need to leave."

"Oh, right, you've got a game?"

"Yeah, in an hour." He stands to leave and walks closer to me, stopping just a few inches away.

"Well, I'll see you around Lys." He winks and leaves me standing in the room alone with the remnants of his cologne filling my lungs.

That was weird.

_____________________________________________

SOO sorry for the long delay of posting anything. I promise I will be posting a few times a week now. Look forward to Darren getting out, Lyssa going home, and Ryder getting pulled into her drama.

xxoo