Chapter 17

I walked up the familiar path to my front door and could hear music pulsing through the house. When Becca opened the door, the smell of alcohol and sweaty bodies burned my nose. The kitchen table was being used as a beer pong station and the couches in the living room had all been moved to make space for a dance floor.

I recognized the song playing as "I like it" by Cardi B and searched the crowd of bodies swaying to the music. Avery was no where to be found and I figured she was probably in her room with someone.

"Come on," Becca shouted over the music into my ear. "Let's grab something to drink."

She grabbed my hand and pulled me into the kitchen. I watched as she poured a concoction of alcohol and soda into red plastic cups and handed one to me. She crashed her cup into mine yelling bottoms up!

I choked the drink back and coughed as the burning filled my chest. She laughed and high-fived me pulling me towards the dancing bodies. I could feel the alcohol reaching my senses and I found myself smiling as I swayed my body to the music. It was crowded but for once I didn't care about the claustrophobic feeling. It was like my brain was in a little bit of a fog and I like that. It was just Becca and I and the music.

I few songs later, Becca pulled me out of the crowd and back into the kitchen. She poured a shot of vodka into a shot glass and handed it to me. She licked my hand and poured some salt on it. We both giggled at her actions and I did the same to her. We counted to three and swallowed the alcohol. I coughed and started laughing with her.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Ryder standing in the corner smiling at us. Something was off about him, but I couldn't put my finger on it. He was wearing a pair of tight jeans and a black v-neck T-shirt. I caught him looking up and down my body and remembered what I was wearing. The alcohol kicked in and brushed it off, following Becca back to the dance floor. I was enjoying myself dancing with Becca without a care in the world when I realized she was no longer dancing behind me and I felt someone grabs my ass. I turned around to find some lacrosse player. I think his name is Sam. I immediately recoil away from him and search for Becca. She's completely oblivious with her eyes closed and swaying to the music. Sam approaches me again and places his hands on my waist.

"Stop," I say. My voice sounds weird but I ignore it and try pushing his hands off of me.

"Come on," he says low into my ear. "You look so good in that dress."

The music is suddenly too loud and everyone and everything is too close. I can't breathe. Gasping for air I try to push him off of me, but he's holding me roughly. I can feel hot tears running down my cheeks but I can't find my voice to call for help. His breath smells like alcohol so strongly and it's making me feel sick.

I feel like I'm about to pass out, when suddenly Sam is pulled off of me and Ryder is punching him on the ground. He stands up after whispering something in his face and grabs my hand pulling me down the hallway.

I'm sobbing hysterical and Ryder keeps asking me if I'm hurt, and I can't find the words to say anything. I can feel all the alcohol I consumed rising up my throat and I stumble across the hall and into the bathroom. There's someone on the counter making out with a girl and they immediately leave as I puke into the toilet. I heard the door shut and someone grabs my hair.

When my stomach is finally empty I lean back and Ryder flushes the toilet. I take his hand and he leads me to the sink where I grab my tooth brush and rinse my mouth out.

"Um, I hope you're not just using some random persons toothbrush," he says.

I give me a "shut-up" look and explain that it's mine.