Chapter 49

I spent two days at the hospital. I mostly spent time talking to Dr. Perris, and the other time I was hanging with Ash and Ryder. They didn't ask me any questions, which was nice, but by the look on their faces, I'm sure they knew some of what happened.

I talked with a social worker who told Ash and I that I would be staying with him from now on until I turned 18 and could make my own decisions. I finally got to shower for the first time this morning and I spent about 30 minutes trying to wash away all the unwanted touches and memories.

When we left the hospital Ryder decided to come back to Ash's and we picked up a pizza on the way home.

I stepped into Ash's living room and slipped off my converse. I crawled onto the sofa immediately and curled up with a blanket. Ash served us all a slice and they joined me on the couch. I was sandwiched in between the two of them as we ate in silence.

Ash broke the sounds of us chewing to ask a question.

"Hey, Lyssy, you don't have to come, but what do you want from mom's?"

It was weird to hear him call her mom, especially after what she did. I crinkled my nose in thought as I chewed.

"Can I make you a list?" I ask with my mouth half full.

"Sure," he says taking another bite.

When we finish eating I write down a list of things that I want, mainly clothes and my school stuff. I hand it to him and he looks it over.

"Can't we just buy you new ones?" He says awkwardly.

"New what," I ask for clarification.

"You know," he says opening his eyes, "new girl stuff."

I burst into laughter for probably the first time in weeks, which eventually turns into everyone laughing.

When I've calmed down, they all stare at me expectantly.

"Hey it's your money, and bras are expensive, but that means you'll have to take me shopping."

He groans and rolls his eyes.

"Fine," he says grumpily.

"Um, speaking of shopping, I'm going to need some other stuff too," I say crossing my legs.

"Like?"

"Shampoo, conditioner, a toothbrush, tampons—"

"Okay, okay," he says cutting me off, "I get it. We can go to Walmart when I get back."

He grabs his keys from the hook by the door and leaves Ryder and I sitting on the sofa.

It's awkward and tense as we sit in silence. He clears his throat and shifts in his seat.

"Ryder," I say softly, getting his attention.

"Yeah?" He asks turning to look at me.

"How did they find me? The police I mean."