Chapter 11

Feeling flustered and confused, I settled into the passenger seat of Ash's car. Groaning in pain, I realized the car hadn't started to move and looked over to find Ash staring at me.

"What?" I asked genuinely confused.

"What's wrong? I mean other than having been in a car accident," he asked motioning to my currently crumpled form in the seat.

I mentally debated whether or not I should tell him about Darren. I mean, I didn't want to get him involved especially if it turns out that I had hallucinated the whole thing. I finally decided I'd tell him the half truth. At least just what Ryder had told me.

"Well, the police called..." I paused trying to figure out how to phrase it without sounding like I knew more than I did.

"And?" He asked me impatiently.

"Well, they found evidence that there was another car involved in the crash." I paused waiting for him to say something.

"Hm. Well, I guess you were right kiddo. You don't remember any details about the car?"

I tried my best to put on a confused thinking hard face before shaking my head no.

"Well, don't worry. The bastard that did this to you will pay. I'll make sure of it." He ruffled my hair and put the car in drive, his knuckles turning white from his firm grasp on the steering wheel.

When we pulled up a few houses down from my own, Ash jumped out of his truck and came round to the passenger side swinging the door open. Careful to avoid my incision, he swiftly lowered me to the ground. I pulled him into a tight hug, inhaling his familiar scent of cologne and gasoline. 

I slowly made my way up the sidewalk and noticed that the lights were on inside the house. Usually, my mom would be at work and Avery wouldn't be home yet since she stays after school for dance practice. I unlocked the door and stared into the eyes of the man that I hated most in my life. 

My heart started pounding in my chest and I felt the little amount of lunch I ate today rising back up. 

"Well don't just stand there," my mom cooed, "come say hello to your dad." 

I mentally screamed that he would never be my father, but obeyed her request afraid of what would happen next. I set my bag on the floor and slowly crept towards the kitchen table. 

"Well, haven't you grown," Darren says looking me over. 

I stopped several feet away from the table and shuddered, remembering the last time I had been this near to him. 

"Go on, give him a hug," my mom said annoyance slipping into her tone.

I could feel the vomit rising with the thought of him touching me.

"Now, now Karen, give her some time." Darren smiled and turned towards me. 

Why was he being so nice to me?

"I know things between haven't been good in the past," he said looking straight into my eyes. "I just wanted to tell you that..." he stopped and cleared his throat, putting a hand over his face. 

To my surprise, he started to cry. Well, that's what it looked like. I didn't actually see any tears running down his face, but my mom immediately stood up to rub his back. He cleared his throat again and looked back at me.

"I'm sorry Lys," I hope that one day you can forgive.

Okay, seriously, what the hell was going on here?

Avery scoffed and shot me an evil glare. My mom staring me down and mouthing to me to hug him. I stood there completely confused. I wasn't about to accept his apology, but with my mom there giving me a look that could kill, I dragged my feet closer to him and she smiled sitting back down. 

I paused in front of him before putting my arms awkwardly around him. Feeling him wrap his arms around me and pat my back made me want to throw up. I seriously must be in a nightmare right now. Maybe I died and went to hell in that car accident.

As I tried to pull away from his embrace, he whispered into my ear. 

I could barely hear him, but it was clear what he said. 

"How's your car?"

I pulled away from him abruptly and took a step backward.

"W-what did you say?" I stuttered.

"I said how are you? I heard you were in an accident," he said calmly, looking back at my mom and taking her hand. 

"We're just glad that you're okay."

Wait, he definitely said car. I was starting to think I was going crazy until I saw the corner of his lip twitch up into a sick grin. 

"Well, as fun as this is, I'm starving," Avery said, jolting me back to reality. 

"Dad," she said, grabbing his attention. "Why don't we go out to dinner? Celebrate you returning home?"

"Oh!" my mom exclaimed. "That's a wonderful idea, Avery. I'll call and book us a reservation at Carol's. That's still your favorite right hunny," she asked rubbing Darren's arm. 

"Of course," he smiled back at her, putting his hand on top of her own. 

She got up to grab her phone and Avery announced she was going to go get ready. 

Suddenly finding myself alone with Darren, my pulse started racing again. He smirked at me, giving me a once over again.

"Hm," he said. "I see you finally blossomed," his gaze stopping at my chest. 

I quickly folded my arms over my chest and was about to turn to leave the room, when he suddenly stood up. Fear was making my stomach ache as he started to walk towards me. I took another step back to find that I had backed into the wall. 

Sh*t. Oh, my God. I was trying not to hyperventilate, images of him walking towards me as a child running through my brain. 

"Don't you dare f*ck this up for me," he snarled just inches from my face. "Or I swear the next time your car crashes you won't leave it alive." 

He stared at me for a moment longer before dropping his voice to a whisper, "Or, I could just lock you in the closet." 

He smirked and turned around walking into the kitchen to find my mom. 

I hobbled to the bathroom, just barely making the toilet before puking my brains out.

*************************************

SO it was Darren after all!!

Keep reading my loves.

Don't forget to vote!

xxx