9.4

Research.

Ada constantly avoided it, but the neglect of research was affecting her mission.

The results were unacceptable. Had she known he was a family man, she would have been smoothly prepared. If she had researched the bots and been more aware of their coding, she would have walked away from the office a second time without a minor injury.

She had limped to the hotel room. Upon examination, the laser had burned away a small circle of her flesh. Her shoe had corroded, leaving her heel a cauterized mess. She was lucky to have escaped without the loss of her foot. Or worse.

However, to research meant to become further involved. The less she knew about Moretz, the better she would feel about stopping his heart. Finding out about his life, and other children... It would turn the monster into a man. She did not want doubt to interfere with her decision. She was too committed, or as her mother liked to say, The hat's already over the wall.

Ada repeated the mantra aloud as she looked herself over in the mirror. She was sheathed in a knee-length silk dress slinky enough to turn heads, but not tight enough to classify her as desperate. Moretz would notice her, unfortunately. The dress would also serve as a distraction, long enough so she could do what was necessary.

Ada, my girl.

She squeezed her eyes shut.

With no A.I. assistant to confiscate her gun, she had a chance to end this.

Ada unplugged her car and got inside. The car drove on autopilot for twenty minutes, finally parking in front of a private apartment. The building had a side entrance leading upstairs to a second-floor penthouse, resembling more of a bachelor pad than a Congressman's home.

This was Moretz's second, or recreational, residence. She remembered the address from the full file scan from earlier, though it hadn't been labeled.

Three rings tolled from the car's interface.

Answer.

The ringing stopped.

"Hello?"

"Miss Muth?" asked Moretz's assistant.

"Yes?"

"I'm Congressman Moretz's assistant. We met earlier today. You tested our new chairs."

They met earlier. Strange phrasing for a machine. The mention of the chairs was just as saucy.

"Yes?"

"The Congressman had me call to confirm the address and time."

"Is he canceling?"

"No. I can upload the address to your interface."

"Go ahead." Her interface lit up to confirm a successful upload. The address was different from where she was, but it was a few minutes drive on the highway. "Got it."

She left out the part about the upload being unnecessary. There were only two other addresses listed under the Congressman's name, and one was in France. She had assumed he wanted to meet in his recreational pad. Ada had been wrong.

Not to mention Moretz had his assistant checking up on her. Somehow, he knew where she was, which unnerved her.

"You're quite welcome," replied the assistant, even though Ada neglected to say thank you.

She ended the call.

"New destination," the car interface prompted. "Shall we proceed?"

"Proceed."

Moretz was planning something. Was her cover still intact? Or had he recognized the face of his child aged into the face of an adult? If so, it was odd he would still want to meet.

She considered returning to the hotel to regroup, but she didn't want to miss her chance. He wouldn't take another meeting if she was a no-show tonight. She had no other choice but to tumble down the rabbit hole.

~*~