4.5

There was a brief argument about Kressick's speed. He was going eighty, but Ada wanted him to go the speed limit of one hundred and ten. It's not safe, was his point, whereas her point was to get to Atlanta in a few days, not a few weeks. She thought one hundred and ten to be a safe speed if the car was set on an optimal trajectory course.

"Not when I don't know exactly what coordinate to input," he countered.

Right again.

She should have set the course herself. And she should have driven herself. After the near-Sammie encounter, her adrenaline was firing. She wanted to put the energy to good use. Plus, her ass ached like nobody's business.

She asked Kressick to take the exit ahead to the nearest a gas station. They would have a chance to re-charge the car and switch drivers. He deferred, getting off at the next exit and turning in to the Sunnydale Gas Station.

The place was barely lit, with an ill-favored look to it. No security patrols either. Ada wanted to tell Kressick never mind. She had seen the news reports about unguarded stations and what went on there. The red indicator on the battery charge made up her mind for her, in combination with the road sign which said the next charging station wasn't for another hundred miles.

Once parked, they found they had a problem. None of the pumps had electrical outlets. Kressick rang the intercom to speak with the attendant.

"Can I help you?" Can sounded more like ken.

"Sir, where are your outlets located?"

"You got an 'lectric car?"

No, he's asking about the outlets so I can stick my fingers inside, Ada considered saying, but didn't.

"Indeed," Kressick said.

"Outlet pole. On the right side of the building. Cost is a hundred-seventy-five dollars for full charge."

Ada snorted with laughter at the price. Even in downtown locations, the cost was lower. Kressick didn't voice concern, and she didn't offer to pay for it.

"How long will that take?"

"It's an older model, so 'bout twenty minutes." Mints.

"That's acceptable, thank you."

Kressick got back into the car to drive it nearer to the outlet pole.

After he parked the car for a second time, Ada got out. "I'm going to the bathroom."

Inside the convenience store, a short, dirty attendant hunched behind a bullet-proof encased office.

"What can I do for ya?"

"Bathrooms?"

"Back left."

~*~

An easy mark.

Whenever Easies entered the Sunnydale gas station—usually rich Tramps; Prominents they left alone—Oscar notified Mono. Oscar's last call brought him out of bed and into the car. Just another commute to the old job-erooney. Mono drove, and his partner, Kevlar, double-checked the six-cylinder compartment in his gun.

When they arrived at Sunnydale, Mono noticed the electric car. Blue station wagon, an older model, but in good condition.

Mono smiled at Kevlar who returned the grin. Oscar was their best informant. Tonight they could expect a good haul. As long as the station maintained zero riots, thefts, shortages, and high returns, the State allowed them to operate a successful side business. Bribes sweetened the deal too, Mono had learned.

No one was in or next to the electric car, waiting for the charging outlet to turn green. The age of the model meant it would be another ten minutes before the car was fully charged. They had time.

As pseudo-gas station owners, Mono and Kevlar had discussed the choice to upgrade to the newer charge pole, but decided to keep the old model. It gave them time to get to the station and deal with their customers on a more personal basis, even though they only lived five minutes away in a run-down duplex.

Mono parked around the left side of the store. He held the wristlet up to his scruffy face. "Where are the Easies?"

"There's a girl in the bathroom, and her dad's outside," Oscar answered. "He was waitin' by the car, and now I kent see him."

"Go inside and get the girl," Mono told Kevlar. "I'll look for the other one."

Kevlar nodded. He was on his way out of the car when Mono touched his arm. "No stoppin' to fuck around either. We don't have time to clean up again, all right?"

Kevlar grunted. Mono shook his head. It upset him that his business partner let his cock do all the thinkin', but really, what man couldn't say the same? If a bitch looked wanting, Mono wasn't averse to takin' a dip in after Kevlar was through. Thing was, they'd been indulging themselves too often. The last girl had fought so hard Kevlar had been forced to brain her with his gun. Mono knew Prominents paid less attention to Tramp disappearances, but still, the mess could have been avoided.

All the other gas pumps were lit and empty. The right side of the building was clear. Back of the building was just as empty.

"Oscar, are you sure they are two Easies?" Mono thought Oscar might be losin' his ever-lovin' mind, because the station was disturbingly quiet.

"Two people got outta the car." He heard the familiar sound of Oscar cocking his weapon. If Oscar was worried, then he must be telling the truth.

Mono gave the gas station a quick last sweep before informing his interface, and thus Oscar, "The dude's not out here. Did he go inside with you?"

"No."

"Then where the hell is he?"

When Mono turned around, he saw a man he had never met before. An older man, but a kindly one. He was a model Prominent, one who made sure to take care of his facial prosthetics.

The man smiled, and Mono liked him instantly, though he didn't know why.

~ * ~