•FIVE•

•••

•••

It was almost sundown when I emerged from my bedroom on a rainy Wednesday night, having done an hour of non-stop vampire speed homework and all this chance and probability nonsense was making me hungry. Edward had returned last night after taking a few days from school to cool off but that human was still in his mind. I walked down the stairs and into the living room to annoy Emmett and Jasper for a few minutes before walking into the kitchen to see Esme and Rosalie fussing over tile colours for a house project the two were working on. I poured some spare animal blood Carlisle had stored away into a cup and slowly sipped at it while looking out the window into the forest that the kitchens view had.

Controlling my thirst was getting harder now that I was around humans almost all the time. Something blurred past and when I walked outside to see it, a scent hit me fast. I looked around to see that no one had noticed the scent or the person blur past but when I caught an actual whiff of the scent my eyes started to water. I hasn't smelled it in over two hundred years– given when I did first smell it, it was vague. She had been and gone but I'd never forgotten the rustic scent of amber mixed with old books. She was here.

A pair of blood-red eyes caught my gaze. It was her. I didn't know what I was doing but I dropped my glass and sped after her. I could distantly hear the shatter of the glass on the concrete veranda but that wasn't in my mind. I could only just see the woman- the one who turned me. She stopped up ahead in a small clearing, the sun hitting her skin and making it glitter like a million diamonds dancing on her skin. She turned around and smiled at me.

This was her– the one who turned me, left me to take the blame of the murdered village and nearly be killed. I wasn't happy with her.

"I remember you." She breathed, walking over to me. As she reached out to touch me, I grabbed her throat and pushed her up against the closest tree, feeling small sparks fly through my hand.

"Yeah well, I don't particularly like you." I hissed, hearing the satisfying crack of her porcelain-like neck.

She laughed, her voice sounding like a melody. I glared at her, my hands heating up. Her eyes were now wide with worry, would I kill her? At that moment I had no idea.

"Lydia!" My adoptive father's voice called through the forest. I gripped the vampire's throat tight and threw her into a tree. She quickly got up and just stared at me, a flicker of hurt flashed through her expressions as she looked at me with pleading eyes. She knew I wanted to kill her, she knew I could kill her if I wanted to. Did I want to? "Lydia..." Carlisle appeared with Jasper, looking between me and the vampire who stood less than 10 feet away from us.

"Who's that?" Jasper asked. He could feel my rage and understood straight away. I had expressed to him on multiple occasions how much I wanted to rip my creators head clean off her shoulders and he quickly whispered to Carlisle. I kept my hatred filled eyes on the vampire but she was looking at me like she knew something I didn't.