~ thirty-eight

( chapter thirty-eight;
what the heart crAves )

( chapter thirty-eight; what the heart crAves )

▂▂▂▂

INSIDE ROSEWOOD HOSPITAL, MADISON was laying on one of the beds. She had an oxygen tube up her nostrils, helping her to breathe. She hadn't woken since Ian hit her head against the wooden pillar.

Her parents and friends had been in and out, watching and waiting for her to wake, but her body remained in the same position. Right now, someone was sat beside the bed watching over her.

Madison suddenly gained conciousness, feeling her head throbbing. A breath left her parted lips and she grumbled at the pain. The brunettes eyes weakly fluttered open, her vision blurry as she stared up at the ceiling.

She moved her hand up to her head before trying to push herself up. The person sat beside her bed rushed up and held her, helping her to lay back down, "Don't get up."

Madison recognisied the voice. Her eyes shifted to the right to see a familiar raven-haired boy beside her. Her eyebrows pulled together, wondering if she was dreaming, "Caleb? Are you really here?"

"Yes." He responded, moving his hands from her and to the railing of the bed.

"Why?" Madison asked, her voice groggy.

"Because Hanna told me you were taken to hospital," Caleb told her, "and she drove me here."

Madison stared at him in surprise as she shifted onto her side to face him, "I didn't think you'd care."

He exhaled, staring deeply at her, "Of course I care."

It fell silent before Madison cleared her throat, "Are my friends here? Can you get them for me?"

"I think I should get the doctors first," He told her, "and tell them you're awake."

"I need to see my friends, Caleb." Madison responded, pleadingly looking into the eyes she had missed, "Please."

Caleb agreed and made his way out of the room to the girls, who had gone to the canteen to grab some food. A few minutes later, the four of them were stood around Madison's bed.

"What happened after Ian knocked me out?" Madison asked them, "Where is he?"

"We saw him hanging from the ropes of the church bell, dead." Emily told her, "But then we called the ambulance and police and the body was gone."

"And you weren't just knocked out, Madi," Hanna stated, her voice low and eyes sad, "you were dead."

Madison's head turned on her pillow to look to the blonde, "What?"