~ prologue

( prologue )

▂▂▂▂

September 1st, 2009

MUSIC BLARED from the speakers, it bounced off the walls of the Hastings barn. The five girls inside were laughing and underage drinking, waiting for the arrival of the sixth girl. The already dim lights suddenly switched off, along with the music. The sound of the storm outside now being heard by the five. All of the girls glanced around in slight fear, wondering what was going on.

"What happened?" Emily Fields asked from the sofa as Aria and Hanna grabbed torches, switching them on.

Spencer began to light candles that were dotted around the barn, "It must be the storm."

A loud squeaking sound echoed through the room. Aria's eyebrows furrowed in worry, "Something's out there."

"Oh, come on." Another voice followed. It belonged to the fourth brunette in the room, Madison Halpert, "There's nothing out there."

Hanna stood, flashing a torch towards the barn door as it began to open on its own, "Guys."

The five girls glanced towards the door, all standing up in the dark barn. The lightning outside was brightly flashing every few seconds, followed by loud thunder. The five of them huddled together incase something came through the door. Aria began to move slightly closer to the door with the torch, the other four curiously following behind.

The sound of glass smashing caused the girls to gasp loudly, and three of them to scream in fright. Suddenly a figure jumped into the open doorway, "Gotcha!"

All of them jumped and screamed loudly at the sudden appearance infront of them. Once they all realised who it was, they stopped, catching back their breath and trying to calm down their racing hearts.

Spencer frowned at the blonde, "That's so not funny, Alison!"

Alison laughed, loving the thrill of giving her friends a fright. Knowing she had them under her control was a feeling she loved. She loved being the Queen Bee. She smiled, "I thought it was hilarious, girls."

They began to laugh to cover over the fright they had previously felt. They all walked back to the chairs and sofa, sitting back down to continue their night as before. Madison took the cup of alcohol from the small table, taking a long sip as the other girls talked.

"Ali, did you download the new Beyoncè?" Hanna asked Alison.

"Not yet." Alison replied.

Emily grinned at them, "I'm loving her new video."

"Maybe a little too much, Em." Alison replied, tilting her head a little. The tone of her voice trying to hint at something but none of the other girls were able to pick up on it.

Alison took the cup from Madison, causing her to roll her eyes and looked away. Alison handed the cup to Aria, "Your turn. Go on."

Aria began to take a long sip, just as Madison had done. But unlike Madison, the alcohol was burning Aria's throat more. Spencer began to nibble on a snack, chuckling at Aria, "Careful, Aria. Take too much, and you'll tell us all your secrets."

The girls began to giggle along, the alcohol making everything seem funnier. Alison glanced around at all of them, getting their attention as she spoke, "Friends share secrets. That's what keeps us close." She looked back to Aria with a small grin, "Drink up."

▂▂▂▂

The barn was quiet, two girls were asleep on the floor and two on the sofas. Aria began to wake, her eyes fluttering open. She pushed her upper body up, glancing around at the girls. Her brows furrowed, realising two of them were missing, Alison and Spencer. Aria stretched her arm out, poking Emily to wake her.

"Em." Aria whispered. Emily groaned a little, opening her eyes. As she sat up, her leg hit against Madison's causing her to wake. Aria proded Hanna, who was on the floor, causing her to wake up aswell.

Emily glanced around, "Where's Alison? And Spencer?"

"We don't know." Aria replied, just as concerned. Aria stood up, walking to the door of the barn. A figure appeared in the darkness in the opening of the door, "Ali?"

It was Spencer. She moved towards Aria, "She's gone."

Madison frowned in confusion, getting up from the sofa and moving towards the two, "What do you mean she's gone?"

"I've looked everywhere for her." Spencer told them all, "I think I heard her scream."