~ five

( chapter five; the first threAt )

▂▂▂▂

THE FIVE trekked through the woods, following Emily, who was ahead. Madison swatted her hand infront of her face, trying to rid the bugs. She furrowed her brows at her friends, "Whose idea was this again?"

"Emily's mom." Spencer replied.

"The shed was me." Emily corrected, climbing up a small hill, "My mom just said we should do something for us."

"Well, couldn't we do something without mosquitoes?" Hanna asked, trying to bat away them with her hand just like Madison.

"They're not mosquitoes, they're gnats." Aria told her.

"Whatever!" Hanna groaned, "They're small and annoying, and they're flying up my nose."

"Well, they're attracted to your perfume. And your hair product. And your lip gloss..." Spencer said, watching the floor as she walked.

Hanna spun her head to look back at Spencer, "So, what are you saying, I attract flies?"

"Gnats." Aria corrected.

"It doesn't matter what they are, Aria." Madison said, scrunching up her nose, "They're all gross."

Emily stopped, scanning around, "Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?"

"I don't know, but I'm regretting wearing stilletos." Madison replied, lifting her foot up to rub at her ankle and remove the leaves that her heels had stabbed through.

"No, this is it. I remember that tree." Spencer replied to Emily, pointing to the large tree infront of them, "It's the halfway point. There's 136 steps left to the shed."

Madison furrowed her brows a little at Spencer, "Have you been out here since... Alison?"

Spencer's eyes widened, "Me? No. No way."

"But you remember that tree." Aria said, agreeing with Madison.

"You guys, it's not that weird." Hanna said, standing infront of them, "I mean, we came out here in eighth grade like, every day... even after."

"I think this is totally the wrong place to do this. Whatever you call it..." Spencer trailed off, thinking of the right word, " - shrine."

Emily furrowed her brows, "It's not a shrine. It's just a place to remember Alison. What's wrong with that?"

"Doing it way out here makes it look like we have something to hide." Spencer told them.