~ nineteen

( chapter nineteen; the night it hAppened )

▂▂▂▂

"HI." JASON'S VOICE came through the small speaker. It seemed kind of low, like he'd either been upset or just woken up, "I wanted to talk. Can you meet me?"

Madison headed into the girls bathroom of the school for privacy, "I can't. It's Monday, I'm in school."

"Right." He responded, "After?"

"I can ditch at lunch." Madison told him, briefly glancing at herself in the smudged mirror. She noticed her under-eyes had become puffy from the lack of sleep over the past few days.

"No, you don't need to ditch school for me." Jason told her, "Meet me down Bridgewater Terrace."

"You mean your old house?" Madison questioned, confused as to why he'd want to meet there.

"Yeah." He said, "After school. Meet me outside."

"Okay." She responded.

"See you then." Jason replied before the line went dead. Madison took the phone from her ear, staring at the home screen on it. She was confused. First, he screams at her, leaves and doesn't return her calls, and now he wants to meet, at his old house?

But I guess it's a step forward, she thought.

Madison pocketed her phone and left the bathroom. She headed down the hallway in the direction of her science class. As she walked by Ezra's classroom, she spotted him still stood by his desk, but this time, with Noel. Madison furrowed her brows before curiously moving towards the wall beside the door and listened in.

"I wanna make this easy for you." Noel said to Ezra, "This is a brand new paper, and trust me, it's worthy of an A."

There was a pause before Ezra spoke, "This is the same essay, you just re-printed it."

"Well, last time we talked I wanted the A. This time I need it, or I don't get to suit up for Friday's game." Noel told him. He paused for a moment, waiting for Ezra's response but he remained silent, "It's a few strokes of a pen, why is it so hard for you?"

"If you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand my answer." Ezra frowned. Madison saw two boys head into the classroom from the other entrance.

"Hey, Kahn," A male voice said, belonging to one of the boys that had just entered, "what are you doing here?"

"I was looking for Aria." Noel told him, "She has first period here, right?"