The Final

••6 MONTHS LATER••

••Daisy••
I let out a heavy breath and my feet tap as I run my finger over the scar on my temple. My hair is pulled back in a bun but stray hairs have still escaped and dance around my forehead. I take out my ear buds and pause Fleetwood Mac. I chuckle, remembering the moment during a game when my train of thought was focused on the fact my music was still playing and not on the job at hand.

I secure my helmet, tightening the strap before slipping my baggy green into its bag. I push it down just so it fits perfectly like I know it does.

I remember the hospital lights I woke too, but the soft kiss of my husband and smile of my best friend.

I pull on my keeping gloves and remember who I am doing all this for.
My Mum and my Dad.
A photo booth photo of my parents is tucked in my pocket, where it always is.

I kiss the wedding ring tied around my neck and mentally kiss Dylan. His smiling eyes calm me. The warmth of his love gives me more joy than ever.

I rise to my feet and jump up and down, tucking my legs up a few times. I shake my arms and when Megan runs through the doors I know what to do.

"C'mon Cap! We've got a game to play!" She calls and I rush over to her.

"Good to have ya back Daise." She puts her arm across my shoulders.

"Good to be playing." I laugh as we patter down the stairs.

"Hey Daisy!" Dylan calls when I reach the gate, I quickly step into his open arms.

He pushes my helmet back and presses his lips to mine. Butterflies fill my stomach and my heart skips a beat, he cups my face and holds it tight.

"I'm so proud of you." His voice cracks.

"I'm so in love with you." I reply as my baby is handed to me.

I hug her little body, her wild eyes reminding me of the ocean. Now I know what my parents saw every single time they looked at me

"Be Good bubba." I kiss her forehead as she giggles. Delaney is returned to Dylan and I step out of the gate.

A guard of honour is waiting. England are lined up on my left and Australia on my right.

"Hey girl." Kate appears by my side. I gasp and we take each other in a very tight grasp.

"Can't believe we're back." I state, pulling away.

Kate chuckles, "I know, crazy huh?"

"Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, you're all gathered here today in the hot Australian sun to witness yet another clash between England and Australia. You knew that today is going to get up to 43 degrees, you knew that you were gonna have to lather up with sunscreen and wear your most attractive hat." The crowd laughs as my dad speaks into the microphone.

"But what you didn't know is that you're also witnessing a little bit of history, today we welcome back two prized wicket keepers. Kate Stanley and Daisy Wright-Cook. Kate and her husband Lou brought  their little girl Georgia into the world and Daisy was taken out by an accident and then proceeded to bless me with a grandchild, Delaney with the help of her husband Dylan. Both 25 year olds have worked immensely hard to get back to where they were and both have been successful. On behalf of everyone here today, watching in their lounge rooms or listening on their radios, we wish you both the best of luck and all the very best for your futures. Everyone welcome into the ground Kate Stanley and Daisy Wright-Cook!" Dad announces as we begin running.

We dance onto the field, slapping the hands of our team mates with smiles beaming across our faces.

We get to the pitch and take each other in another hug.

"All the best Mrs Wright-Cook, thanks for everything!" Kate whispers.

"No Mrs Stanley, thank you." I reply as we fist bump and grin.

I take a deep breath once the rest of girls are securely positioned around the oval. I fall into my squat and let out my breath, my eyes fluttering and Australia cheering.

Life can't get much better than this.

-THE END-