Yorkshire

It was my big brother George who forced me to go and try county cricket.
'Why don't we both play for Yorkshire!' He'd say.
I was in Year 12 at collage, my life revolved around passing these subjects, even if it was with a low C grade. I had to clench my teeth and say no when someone asked me to play cricket. I was already agitated and frustrated that I was stuck behind this desk, getting cramp in my thumbs from writing formal essays or maths equations.
June was edging closer and closer, and George was willing to drive me to try outs.
'This could be your only chance Kate, you can not let it slip away!' George was pacing my room.
'George I have to finish Year 12, there is no way I can drop out and there is no way I can finish if my mind is on something else.' I rebutted.
'Kate, you're 18, you're meant to be making mistakes, come on, I'm not letting you waste this.' George grabbed my arm and tore me from my seat.
'Geor-
'You're coming, get changed, your bag is in the car!' He ordered loudly, I dragged my body and my guilty conscience to my cupboard and pulled on my Scarborough training long sleeve and my adidas shorts that my auntie had got me for my birthday.
'Have fun Kate!' I heard Dad yell from the lounge. 'Do me proud!'
I chuckled, my family were professional blackmailers.
'I really thought you weren't going to come out.' George sighed.
'Well, here I am.' I replied, as we turned into the street.

We stepped out of the car and into the huge stadium, our bags dragging behind us.
'Welcome to Leeds,' George patted my shoulder as we walked out to the nets. I don't remember the exact feeling I felt as my spikes trekked across the spongy lawn.
'Hello, you must be George and Kate Squire?' A women came up to us and shook our hands.
'Yes.' The two of us responded.
'Well I'm Karen, coach of the Yorkshire women's side so Kate if you make your way over to the East nets and George you hang around here, we should be on our way.' Karen smiled.
'Meet you at the car when we're done, have fun.' George clarified, I nodded and ran around to the East nets.

'So do you wicket keep, Bowl or Bat?' Karen asked.
'Well I'm a keep-'
'Great! We just lost our old one, went to have a baby didn't she, anyway, lets see what you've got.' I assumed that was a direction to pad up, so I strapped on my pads and pulled on my gloves.
'Right ladies gather around, so we've decided to have a trial match against the boys, I'd like you to all just take your time, acknowledge the fact you're playing in front of selectors and against the men, it can be very intimidating at times but never doubt yourselves.' Karen smiled at what she thought was her inspirational induction.
'Go on over to the oval, and take your places on the field, this is your time to shine, Go have fun girls!' She announced, the other women ran off onto the field clapping and laughing.
'Just do your thing Kate, I've seen you play.' Karen winked and pushed me onto the pitch.
I ran over to the stumps and checked the field. We had a simple field, a girl at mid off and mid on, one at cover, point and then at gully. A girl stood over at fine leg and square leg and another at mid wicket.
'Are we having a slips?' The girl at mid wicket yelled.
'Why not? We have a spare player!' The bowler replied, she beckoned the girl to come out. I watched as she secured her hat, she smiled at me before putting out her hand.
'Clara.' She said simply.
'Kate.' My gloved hand shook hers. Our heads spun to the ruckus coming from the stadium as the two batsmen filed out.
'Oh would you look at that, it's my big brother!' I laughed, slapping my hands against my knees at the sight of him opening the batsmen.
'What's the opening bowler doing opening the batting?' I questioned him, my team mates chuckling.
'Kate, be quiet.' George told me sternly. I rolled my eyes and crouched down.
Missy (the bowler), powered down the pitch and sent the ball down, it zipped past George and into my gloves.
'Ooo he certainly can't play you! Let's go Girls!' I clapped, passing the ball to Clara.
I decided to take a step up to Missy, she wasn't a fast bowler and watching the ball swing into the stumps indicated she liked to play at the batsmen, so if I watched the ball into my gloves I would be okay.
Oh how right I was.

George had been in for 10 overs and had made about 20 runs. Not his best score but he had seen the fall of three wickets. Missy was on again, her attacking balls were messing with George's head, I used this to my advantage.
'Come On Missy lets get him walking, he's been in way to long!' I called out making Clara chuckle. I watched Missy warm up as I stepped up to the stumps. I was about to arm lengths away, just far enough so that I wouldn't get one in the teeth and just close enough for a stumping. I watched the slow ball come down the pitch, George lifted his foot from his crease as he tried to meet it on the half volley, it skidded through to me and I slammed my gloves and the ball against the stumps, instantly cheering and running down the pitch. The umpire raised his finger and I cheered louder, the girls taking me in a huddle, congratulating me.
I watched as my brother walked off the field and a new guy made his way to the stumps. He had brown eyes and no helmet, he had tanned skin and short by wild sandy blonde hair.
I crouched down, knowing with the way Missy was bowling I had this guy in the bag. Just like before, he tried to meet it and with a snick of the bat the ball soared into my glove on the end of my outstretched arm.
'YES!' I cheered.
'Great Catch, Holy!' The guy clapped.
'Thanks, I'm Kate.' I smiled at him, taking off my helmet.
'Louis, nice to meet you.' He said, shaking my hand.
'You too, now off you go!' I ushered and he laughed.