11: Beaten not Broken

Start from the beginning

In the end I stayed the night because by the time we'd settled Mik down again it was nearly 02.00. When I opened my eyes it took me a moment or two to process where I was. This is the first time since I left the Cages and moved in to my apartment that I haven't woken up in my own bed. I crawled to the edge of the sleeping platform. Ben was sitting on the couch with Mik showing him something in his book. I must have made a noise because Ben looked up and smiled. His smile made me think about things I shouldn't. Since Hedd died I've had sex with women. It means I can safely say I'm sexually active on my annual citizenship appraisal. I wondered if I would find a woman that I liked but I soon realised I'm not really attracted to the opposite sex and that, in a City where the penalties for same sex relationships are getting higher every year, is bad news. More application of Stoic philosophy will be needed with regard to not developing feelings for Ben. I'm not going to risk spoiling a friendship. At the end of the day that is more valuable than sex.

Once we'd had breakfast the first thing we did was go and buy boots for Ben. Not brand new boots but almost new from the recycle mart on 22. They cost twenty six creds which was two creds less than he had saved. He promptly spent four creds on a musical alphabet toy for Mik despite me pointing out that he was now worse rather than better off. He just laughed. I treated us to a drink and cake at a nice café. Unless you're rich and can afford the real food grown in the hydroponic units and the agristates, food is made out of algae or mycoproteins grown in vats to which colours and flavourings are added. Cake is one of the more successful incarnations. Everybody in Mid and LoCit is probably addicted to cake judging by the amount that's sold. Mik managed to eat three cakes which was probably two too many but he was enjoying them and it was good to see him smiling and laughing. After that we wandered round for a bit then took Mik to the World of the Seas. I was unprepared when half way through the show he suddenly asked

"Will Roni come back?" My eyes met Ben's. The truth is I don't think Roni will come back but I can't tell Mik that. He's six years old. Ben's voice cut across my panic

"What do you think about it Mik?"

"She wouldn't leave me on purpose."

"So she'd come back if she could?" He nodded "Well that's the important thing."

"But what if she comes back and can't find me?"

Ben bit his lip not sure what to say but I'd gathered my thoughts. "I'm a Forcer. I can make sure she knows you're staying with Ben."

"Slots." I relaxed thinking we'd got through a difficult situation until Mik frowned "I don't think she will though. I couldn't find any of the others."

"What do you mean?"

"I went to the gate every day. I was going to ask some of the regulars to go picking with them but none of them came for work. Maybe they took them all off to work on level 50 or the 'states." Mik is no fool. He's been waste picking with his sister since he was a toddler. He knows what life is like in Esperance especially for those at the bottom of the levels.

"We'll look after you. If Roni got taken to work down there she wouldn't be able to come and find you."

He nodded again "No-one gets out of there."

Mik was tired and fell asleep as soon as we got back. We talked for a bit about the conversation we'd had in the World of Seas. That's the first time Mik's mentioned his sister. We don't really know how much he understands about what happened but I think it's enough that he realises it was very serious. We ended up deciding that we needed to start teaching him to read and write. He's had no education but if we enrol him on the Educor vidfeed someone might ask questions. We've no claim to him and the City makes a profit out of orphans so he'd be taken away from us. We aren't going to let that happen. Ben got his xylophone out and played. I lay on the bed letting it wash over me. I like music. Listening to it takes me into another place. One that has nothing to do with life in Esperance. I feel the universe blossoming inside my skull and I love it. Ben plays beautifully. He should be doing that not running up and down the City for 20 creds a cycle plus any tips he can wangle. Mik woke up and was hungry so Ben stopped and put the instrument away. Once we'd eaten I said goodbye. I was reluctant to go but I couldn't stay for a second night. When I got home my room seemed cheerless and impersonal. I did my workout routine for an hour then had a shower. Normally I'd read but I couldn't since my book was now hidden at Ben's. I watched the rubbish on the free feeds for an hour without really paying any attention to it then I went to bed.