9: Getting in Deep

I hadn't heard from Per since our night out two cycles ago and I'd decided if Dom didn't ask me to do a drop I'd contact him at the end of this cycle and suggest a beer at Aldo's one night. No spending money we didn't have on fancy snacks though I'd be up for sitting in that Sea place. I'd really enjoyed it and I wondered why I hadn't discovered it before. In the event Dom called me over at the end of my shift on Eightday.

"Up for another run?" I nodded. He came out from behind his desk and handed me a couple of bags to carry. He was still using the elbow sticks but his legs were looking much better. If they continued improving this might be the last trip I'd be making. My savings were up to twenty three creds so new boots were within spitting distance. Just as well since my repairs had given way and the cracks in the soles were back. As soon as I'd left Dom's place I contacted Per. He answered on the first buzz

"You got a drop?"

"Yes I'm on my way down now."

"See you on 46."

He was waiting on the concourse. We went down levels and I deposited the bag and card in the locker. There were a few people about but they studiously ignored us. Per chuckled.

"I have developed the remarkable power of invisibility. No-one ever notices me as I walk round."

"I'm sure they feel safer not seeing you."

"I on the other hand feel much safer when I can see them. You done?" I nodded "Let's get up levels. Aldo's?"

"You read my mind. I'll return the key and coat to Dom and meet you there."

Per was ahead of me stepping off the scaler on 46. He stopped so suddenly that I bumped into him. Then he darted across the concourse towards the north west spoke. I followed him more slowly. He was squatting down beside a small boy who looked like he was dying. His face was pale and sunken. Per scooped him up and made for the up scaler. When we'd gone up another couple of levels he stopped on the concourse and put the boy down. It's amazing the difference a couple of levels make. Here there were several booths selling food and drink and the people looked clean if shabby. Per had pushed up his visor and was murmuring to the boy so I went and got a tube of juso from a stall and brought it back. Per looked up and smiled when I handed it to him. The boy started to gulp the drink down rapidly. I put my hand on the tube and took it away from his mouth.

"Drink slowly or you'll just be sick." he stared at me. I'm not sure how aware he was of the fact I was even talking to him. After a moment I let him have another few mouthfuls. I gave the bottle to Per and went to the Cookie Qwik stall coming back with a bright pink bun. It wasn't nutritious but I thought he needed something. I broke off a piece and put it in his mouth. He chewed a bit and swallowed. He actually managed something that might have been the beginning of a smile. We took turns in feeding him water and bun. Per looked at me over the boy's head

"He's a rag picker. Last time I saw him he was not in this sort of state." He gave the boy another mouthful of water. "What's your name?"

"Mik." the boy looked round. His colour was a little better. He clutched Per. "My sister never come back."

"Have you been picking since then?" Per's voice was quiet and calm. The boy shook his head

"No. They won't take me because I'm on my own. The water went off in our room two days ago. Roni had our cards. I haven't any scrip.I was looking for you. I didn't see you yesterday or the day before."

"I'll give you some scrip to put the water back on in your room."

Mik shook his head. "I'm scared. I heard the rent lady say I should be sent to the orphanage cos my sister done a runner. Roni wouldn't leave me."