Chapter 38 "The Mountain's Chant"

The three of them exited the inn and met with the rest of the vanguard standing nearby. The temperature was a little warmer than yesterday, but the snow hadn't melted at all despite this.

"Have we come to a decision?" Djinn asked Morgan.

"We'll be taking Godric's way, but I can get us there under my own power so don't worry about using any of yours."

Djinn was astonished at the boldness behind her statement, but she seemed confident in her abilities for someone so young. Godric shut the door behind them and walked over to Morgan.

"Are you ready to go?"

She gave him a curt nod. "All I need is this sigil you mentioned."

"Very well."

Godric extended his hand and lightning arced towards the ground with blinding speed. Shortly after the blue flashes, a sigil had been roughly hewn into the frozen ground.

Morgan extended her hand and summoned her tome to which she flipped it open to a blank page. Violet light emanated from her left hand and copied the sigil design onto the page before the light faded to black ink.

"How did you learn to control magic so well, Morgan? I didn't think you were that far along with Jesse, at the time."

"I wasn't," she stated. "While I was asleep, Lady Nightshade taught me about magic and spellcasting. Come over here Madeline!"

"Wait, Lady Nightshade taught you?!" Djinn exclaimed.

Madeline took a spot next to Morgan as she stood near the center of the sigil. "Indeed she did, and, now that I think about everything, it makes perfect sense that elementalists are returning. After all, Lady Nightshade told me that I am the heir to the Magus branch. Soev Trojeim!"

This time her left hand became enveloped in a pale purple light. Before Godric could say anything more, Madeline and Morgan vanished with a flash of the magic's light leaving him and the vanguard where they were.

"The heir to the Magus branch? That doesn't make any sense because the only way a member can be replaced is when they die,"

"Then perhaps Lady Nightshade knows more than we do, Djinn. I think we better hold off on tracking our culprit and pay a visit to her. I'm beginning to wonder what's happening to Verona."

****

"No, that should have been it! Taz! Taz!" he cried out. "My light—my fire—will light the way!"

He was tempted to try shattering the rock with an aura infused palm strike, but he knew that wouldn't do anything to the ward protected stone. Ashe placed a tender hand on his arm.

"Maybe it means something else, Fredrik. Just give it more time."