Chapter 22 "Moving North"

After the awards ceremony, and the bets were returned, Captain Reno through a friendly arm over the shoulders of both Fredrik and Chi-tai. Despite having lost his own bets, Peace and Markus both made about thirty gold on their own.

"I'm really glad I ran into the two of you when I did. Please, allow us to celebrate tonight, and you can stay with us aboard the Sea Lotus' Pearl for the night, as well. You won't disappoint!"

Fredrik wanted to spend some time looking for a map maker, but it wasn't a bad offer to stay the night with people they knew a bit better. It wasn't his decision alone on the matter, though.

"What do you guys think?"

"It wouldn't hurt to stay with them so long as the beds are comfy enough," Serena commented.

Ashe nodded, "If there's a place where we could bathe beforehand, then that would be nice. What about you, Chi-tai?"

He gave a short nod while rubbing the upper part of his left arm.

"Then it's settled! I'm afraid that we'll disappoint on the beds, but I can guarantee the high quality of our hammocks. Think you can manage a celebratory feast on such a short notice, Markus?"

He stretched his hands outward cracking the knuckles, "Just try and stop me. I'll make you wish I made more food when it's all gone."

"I may meet up with you all later," Fredrik started, "I'd like to see if I can find a map maker before turning in for the night."

Captain Reno slapped a hand to his face shifting his hat upwards, "I almost forgot about our deal, Rowan! I know just the marmot to ask for the best maps in all of Torta. I'll take you there, after we stop by the ship."

****

As evening fell, Madeline and Morgan had located an inn that did have a bathhouse connected to it. It wasn't a fancy place, but it wasn't in complete shambles either. There was a handmade waterfall in the corner that flowed over to where a small dish of heated rocks was kept. As the water filled a bucket, it would tip over onto the rocks in carefully planned intervals.

Morgan sat in the main bath with the water up to her nose. Small bubbles floated up from her lips as she let out little breaths. This place was another bust for anything information on the whereabouts of her brother.

"Something still on your mind?"

She looked up to see Madeline walking over with a towel around her body and golden hair up in a messy bun. As she stepped down and slid into the water, she undid the towel to set it on the edge to rest her head in comfort.

Morgan shifted herself to sit on the built-in ledge where the water was now up to her jawline.

"I'm still thinking about how we're going to catch up to Fredrik," she said. "I know we're taking precautions and checking each city we pass, but I really feel like we might just be wasting our time in doing so."