Chapter 12 "The Dark Prison"

Tretch felt the pressure change and leaned backwards to avoid the incoming punch. Fredrik's fist whizzed by inches from his face creating a cut on his cheek.

Without giving much time to adjust, Fredrik brought his left leg up landing a blow to Tretch's ribs. The contact sent him flying into the side of a house with a loud bang followed by startled voices inside.

"I'll hold him here, go warn the townsfolk!"

Serena hesitated but Ashe dashed in the opposite direction pulling her along. He redirected his attention to where Tretch was pushing himself up from the ground.

Blood trickled from the corner of his mouth as he sneered, "Not bad for being newly reacquainted with Alberon, mongoose. Ragha warned me not to mess with you but I didn't sense any power in that kick, so your little surprise must have been a fluke."

"Don't underestimate me," Fredrik tossed his satchel to the side before shedding his cloak. "I've been practicing every chance I got over the past seven years."

"Is that so? Then it makes me wonder why you're so heroic all of the sudden; change of heart?"

Fredrik launched himself forward again but Tretch was prepared to intercept the attacks. Thanks to the prior knowledge his host had, he was able to tap into the training the tiger already had.

The inward punch was blocked with an upward parry followed by a downward strike to intercept the rising knee. With the hidden power still yet to be used, Tretch knew he had the upper hand based on Fredrik's opening volley of attacks.

Tretch launched Fredrik back with the sheer force of a block and waited for him to land.

"I'm not one to judge people because what matters is how well they feed my appetite. As for you, leaving on a homestead with nothing to do, I'm surprised by how quickly you've decided to take up arms and fight. Usually someone grows soft without anyone to fight but you're ready to go from the start. Is there something you're hiding from the ones you know and love?"

"Shut up!"

This was the only way he knew that would keep him on the higher ground—tapping into the vice of the Vairehëim branch. When the Fourth Disciple was first announced to exist, Nightwalker informed Ragha, who in turn told him, about the connection the Disciple would have to Vairehëim. It is because of this connection and Seraphus' betrayal during the Elementalist War that cold fury is required to draw upon his power. At first, it was a form of passion, but as the war carried on that passion turned to fury.

Tretch chuckled to himself, "It's because there's an itch—a boiling in your blood calling for violence due to the circumstance you're in!"

"I said, SHUT UP!"

He felt the dislocation of his jaw followed by the sound of breaking bone as Fredrik's outward swing connected. A swift right knee dug into his stomach sent him rolling across the ground and coughing up blood. The only thing keeping him alive, at this point, was his ability to heal at a rapid pace.