Chapter 28 "The Tundra's Edge"

The sun had yet to rise above the horizon, but the group of four stood outfitted in the heavy clothes and cloaks they'd need for the tundra's weather. As they approached the northern exit, they saw lazy wisps of snow crystals waltz across the path between towering pines. Right after the exit, a sturdy hut sat with a thin wisp of smoke rising from its metal chimney.

They approached the window of the hut where a watchmen flagged them down. Their nose was visibly cold despite trying to stay warm in the bitter morning temperature.

"Are you f-four planning to head north?" he asked.

Fredrik gave him a quick nod.

"You'll want to be careful, then. A few of our weather monitors said there's a storm front rolling in from the east. It'd be best if you waited for it to pass and try again tomorrow."

"We can't afford to the risk with the window closing," Fredrik replied through the scarf. "If the storm lasts for too long, then it will keep us from ever getting to our destination. We planned on taking our chances with how long it took us to get here, but thank you for the heads up, sir."

"Suit yourself; just don't become part of the scenery that people see when passing by."

He pulled the cloak further around his body before returning to the iron stove with a low fire. Another watchman sat near it warming up a pot of what they assumed was coffee.

It would be a longshot to make it there in one piece, but they had confidence in their abilities and making it this far. The only things going against them, at this point, were time and luck.

****

Morgan and Madeline arrived on the outskirts of Trist to be greeted with the frigid shift in temperatures. They expected a change but this was much more drastic than either of them anticipated.

"Holy shit it's cold!"

As if to throw salt in the open wound of Morgan's comment, a sharp wind blew down through the trees biting into her skin.

Madeline held a hand up to shield her eyes while she held onto her cloak and staff. "We should find a place that sells heavier clothes; we're going to freeze before we find Fredrik."

"Agreed. After that, let's check the inns for an available room and begin asking if someone's seen a mongoose possibly in the company of two wolves or a tiger."

It didn't take long to find a store that specialized in outfitting people with heavier clothing for the colder climates, but finding an inn in the heavy snow proved troublesome. Compared to the shop owner, the signs on the inns were covered in snow and ineligible to quick glances.

After acquisitioning a room, the two of them split up to try and find some remnant that would lead them to Fredrik's location in Trist. Morgan figured it would be a needle in a haystack considering they'd be bundled up like the others and that mongooses would likely be more common this far north.