Chapter 10 "Dawning Light"

Fredrik waved his arms and pressed his hands to his temples, "This is like some bad mash up of a hero's story. What the hell is going on here?!"

Godric was about to continue but Serena cut him off, "I'm sorry to appear so suddenly but my town is in danger and I need your help! I can't explain it but I remembered your face before we left Hollowridge and for some reason it felt as if it was a sign."

"Now hold on a minute," Godric placed a hand on her shoulder. "What do you mean that Hollowridge is in danger? Why did you come here and think that Fredrik would be able to help?"

"I don't know how he could help but something made me think of when I saw him in the market yesterday. As for why Hollowridge is in danger, mister big britches, there was a black creature talking about attacking a homestead west of here and about someone called Alberon's Fourth Disciple."

If they hadn't been so close to him, they wouldn't have seen the loss of color beneath Godric's fur as his face turned a deathly pale. His mouth went dry as he tried to muster up a sentence but found himself unable to.

"A black creature?" Fredrik said flatly. "Red eyes without pupils and ink black skin?"

She nodded and Fredrik started walking back to the homestead. Jewel elbowed Godric and started after Fredrik with the other members of the vanguard in tow. Serena was just as confused as the others seemed to be, but something clicked in her head and a cold wave spread from the base of her neck to her spine—this was a homestead and the once distant mountains were closer.

****

Madeline was busy helping Saul test out the muscles in his shoulder while Douglass thumped down the stairs with heavy feet. She turned towards the door when the sound of several voices became audible and made her think it was someone coming to rob the house. Fredrik's voice silenced them before he opened the door.

"Everyone inside and sit down; we're getting to the bottom of this."

She was surprised by how many people made their way in through the door and walked around to try and find a place they could sit. There was a large rhino, a tortoise, a ferret, two wolves, and the mongoose she recognized as Godric. Fredrik followed behind them and shut the door before crossing his arms and looking over the crowd. Douglass froze in his spot like a criminal that just had a family return to a dark house.

"Okay, first off, why are you here, grandfather."

Godric let out an annoyed huff and crossed his arms. The leather armbraces creaked as he did so, "I could be asking you the same thing, since you're not back in Oak-tree at the monastery and why she is here when she was there yesterday."

Madeline winced as he pointed an accusatory finger at her.

"Things changed and happened," Fredrik growled out. "It may not have been that way if you just told me the truth from the beginning."

She was going to make a comment that she saw Godric drop him off seven years ago but decided it may not be the best time to mention it. The tension in Fredrik's voice tipped her off but the look in his eyes really hit it home.