Chapter 16

Aelin woke up to everyone by her bed. Dorian, Manon, Rowan, Gavriel, Fenrys, Lorcan, Elide, Aedion, and Lysandra.

Aelin wanted to be the first to say something but seeing their faces...her throat was tightening.

"You cruel human," Aedion jested out. Aelin choked out a laugh at that.

"Aedion!" Lysandra snapped at his arm. He just shrugged.

"Someone help her up," Gavriel said. Rowan was already on it, gently placing his hands on her scarred arm and lifting up.

"Lorcan, won't you come say hi?" Aelin sternly said clearing her throat. Everyone went quiet at that.

Lorcan stalked over, "Welcome back." Aelin just stared, the Ashryver blue eyes a living flame.

"Indeed," Aelin said. Rowan shifted his weight.

"I am sorry, I shouldn't have ever-" Lorcan threw out before Aelin interrupted.

"Thank you," Aelin whispered. "I would've been dead if it weren't for you."

Lorcan nodded, "I owed it to you." Aelin just stared at him and nodded back.

Silence hit the room, Aelin grabbed Rowan's tattoed hand and held on to it. Rowan fought the urge to grin.

"Looks like we both got our kingdoms back," Dorian said. Aelin looked over at her friend, they had both gone through a similar thing, perhaps he was the only one who understood what it's like to have your own body become a foreign object to you.

So she smiled at him, she smiled at everyone.

"Well, Majesty, you have more visitors," Manon drawled. Aelin raised an eyebrow.

The doors of the room opened and Chaol Westfall walked in. Aelin chuckled.

"Chaol Westfall," Aelin said.

"Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius," Chaol said with a wink. Aelin just smirked and looked up to Rowan who was looking back at her.

"You're okay," Aelin said looking Chaol up and down.

"I'm okay," Chaol put a hand on her head brushing her hair back. He knew better than to ask if she was okay, everyone knew better. "I also have a surprise for you."

But before Aelin could ask what, the healer walked in her room. The healer from when she had to go to the Red Desert.

"It's been a while," Aelin said reaching her free hand to hers.

"She helped with my foot," Elide said from her place by the door. She had felt too guilty to stand near Aelin.

"Thank you," Aelin said to Yrene.

"You saved my life, I owe you a great deal," Yrene said.

Aelin shook her head slowly. "Was she your healer?" Aelin asked Chaol.

"Yes," Chaol grabbed her hand, "She is also Yrene Westfall." Aelin smiled.

"Tell me about that."

So they did. They told her everything from how they met to convincing the khaganate to send aid.

Rowan wiped the tears that were cascading down Aelin's face.

"Thank you," Aelin ground out, not just to Yrene but to everyone in the room.

"You've all done so much for me," Aelin said.

"You've done more," Fenrys said.

Aelin truly owed Fenrys her life, he convinced Maeve time and time again that they need her alive, not dead.

"You all have a place in my kingdom should you want it. You too Lorcan, you're a pain in my rear but you get the job done," Aelin said.

But none of them replied, they just stared and smiled.

Smiled at the Queen who sacrificed everything for them.

Smiled at the Queen who was their future.

Author's Note - This was so hard to write ahh. I'm sorry I am so inconsistent but I am on vacation. I'll be home on the 8th and I will try and upload as much as possible. If I don't reply to comments for a few days it's because I am on a cruise but keep the comments coming I'll reply when I get wifi. Hope you liked this chapter! :)