Chapter 15

Everyone had taken turns sitting at Aelin's bedside-not Rowan though-he hadn't left her room since they had gotten to the castle three days ago.

A skilled healer came and helped Aelin, but Rowan requested that she leave the whip scars as he knew that was Aelin's decision to make, whether or not to get rid of them.

The tattoo he left was no where to be found.

I'll have to ink her a new one, he figured.

Rowan often looked over to her chest, making sure it rose, and it fell.

"Rowan," A familar voice said from the doorway.

Rowan turned his head, hand on sword ready to take out any threat to his queen.

"Chaol," Rowan whispered, his hand easing.

"I heard what happened," He said, walking-walking in to the room Rowan realized.

A lady walked in behind her, petite and golden skinned.

"Who are you?" Rowan asked.

"This is my wife, Yrene Westfall," Chaol said grabbing her hand. Rowan nodded and held his tattooed hand out to her.

As they both shook hands, Rowan felt it. A healer, he thought. That was a story he'd get out of Chaol later.

"I've met her before," Yrene quietly said. Rowan raised an eyebrow.

"She saved me from a place that would've destroyed me, she never even told me her name. But at the time I was told she was an assassin who was going to the Red Desert," Yrene explained. "If it wasn't for her I would be dead, I owe her my life."

Rowan's heart strained. Gods, his mate...

"She gave me this," Yrene held out a piece of paper to Rowan.

For where ever you need to go-and then some, the world needs more healers.

Chaol squeezed her hand as she looked up.

"May I check on her?" Yrene asked.

"Yeah," Rowan said.

Yrene sat down next to Aelin and placed her hands over her stomach.

"Oh...these memories," Yrene said pulling her hands away. Even watching Aelin's memories were too painful for her.

"Is she going to wake up soon?" Rowan asked.

"I think so, her vitals are okay, not great, but okay," Yrene stood up.

Chaol was now sitting down on the couch across the bed and Yrene sat down next to him.

"What are you going to do about the lock?" Chaol asked.

"Dorian took care of it," Rowan sat down next to his mate. "If you guys don't mind we shall go to sleep now, I'll have Carina show you your quarters."

Yrene stood up, helping Chaol stand up too.

Rowan raised an eyebrow.

"Our lives are binded together. When she uses her healing abilities I become disabled."

Rowan nodded and looked back down at his Queen.
He was going utterly insane without her wicked grin.

Yrene and Chaol were already out the door.

Rowan stalked over to the dresser getting Aelin's tonic out, this would help her sleep through the night.

"Rowan."

He almost dropped the goblet as he slowly turned around.

She was still laying on her side as she couldn't muster the energy to sit up.

"Rowan," her voice cracked and her face contorted.
He gave her a wide grin and rushed to her side.

"You're awake," he breathed.

"I'm awake," she repeated. "You came."

"It's what mates do," Rowan said. Aelin burst out sobbing at that.

She tried to sit up again but grunted at the excruciating pain shooting down her body.

"Sleep, we have a thousand more years together," Rowan said. And somehow, he knew it wouldn't be enough.

"I love you, I love you so much," Aelin said looking into his pine green eyes.

Rowan stroked her hair until she fell asleep, wondering if he deserved Aelin of the Wildfire.