Chapter 9

Manon still had the black blood of the Ilken underneath her iron nails.

A few days ago

"Where are the Wyrdkeys?" The Ilken asked after knocking out the King.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" And before the Ilken could say another word, Manon had it by the throat.

"Hand them over or Maeve will send an army after you, and I don't think you two will fare well against hundreds of us."

"I think you'd be surprised, by the way the young queen isn't doing so well. Hand the keys over for her," It mused.

Manon's grip loosened, not at what he said, but at what she scented. Morath. The place she spent years in. It's where Aelin was now being tortured.

But before she could sense it, the Ilken's sword was coming down on her head, only to be stopped by ice so cold, it only existed before the Sun.

"Don't touch her," Dorian snarled from behind her, the Ilken shattering into pieces.

If Rowan's letter wasn't urging them enough, the Ilken showing up was now a sign that they needed to be in Morath as soon as possible.

"Dorian, we leave for Morath now," Manon said through the quietness they had been sitting in for a few minutes now.

"What about the Crochans?" Dorian asked.

"They can wait," Manon firmly said. "But Aelin can't."

Dorian's eyes went wide as he put the pieces together.

"How fast can Abraxos fly?"

"Let's find out," Manon said, turning towards the wyvern.

Now

They had been waiting in a village a few miles from Morath for a few days now, waiting for Rowan to come. Dorian knew he would because if they knew Aelin was at Morath, then Rowan did too.

Every so often Dorian stared at the horizon, where his friend was now being tortured. He winced at the thought.

"Do you think they have a plan?" Manon said.

"They have too, I don't think we can just walk in and out without any trouble."

Manon nodded and looked south.

"Holy Gods," The witch stood up at the sight of people walking in from every horizon. Dorian whipped his head towards her before she dragged Dorian behind a tree.

"No, no. That's Terrasen's army, but why are they here?" Dorian walked out into plain sight.

The army was getting closer and closer, no end in sight. The thieves, commoners, exiles, and assassins stretching out miles after miles.

"Dorian," Aedion snapped. "What's going on? You're supposed to be in the Wastes. Where are the witches?"

"We didn't find them, General. We came here to help Rowan."

"What?" Lysandra asked now standing next to Aedion. "She's here?"

Dorian nodded.

"But Erawan's here as well. Why is the Queen of the Fae in cahoots with the King of the Valg?" Aedion asked.

"I don't know."

"We need to go now," Aedion told them.

"We must wait for Rowan," Manon sternly said.

"She's hurt," Aedion breathed.

"You're right, which is why she needs her carranam in order to get out alive," Manon said.

Aedion's gaze fell on Lysandra.

"We need to start dispatching the Fae guards."

"I'll go give the order, but how to do tell them we're here for a rescue mission not a battle?"

"Don't," Aedion said. "It's now an invasion, we defeat and rescue."

The four of them nodded.

In front of them Abraxos landed and nudged Manon.

"The Thirteen are almost here," Manon said.

"Good, we'll need all the help we can get," Gavriel said from behind the four.

"Rowan," Lysandra said.

Rowan only stared at her. He had to keep his control. Not Aelin, not Aelin. He kept chanting in his head.

"We rest tonight, so we're ready for the Queen of Terrasen tomorrow," Lorcan said, Elide stepping down from his arms as she couldn't run at the speed of the three Fae with her.

"Good to see you again brother," Aedion held his hand out.

Rowan stared at it before shaking it.

"Why are you here?" Rowan asked.

"To defeat Erawan and get Aelin back."

Rowan considered the words and nodded.

"You defeat Erawan," Rowan said. "Elide, Dorian, and I will retrieve Aelin."

"No, it's too dangerous we can help."

Rowan only held a hand up.

"Defeat Erawan. For her. Please, do it for her," Rowan's voice cracked on the last word.

Aedion's rage calmed a bit. Everyone watching them as he said, "For a better world."

Manon held out a hand, Dorian putting his on top of hers. The came Lysandra's, Lorcan's, Elide's, Gavriel's, Aedion's, and lastly Rowan's.

"To the Queen," Rowan said, all of them repeating the three words.

I'm coming Aelin, fight it. Rowan willed through the bond, They were now close enough that Rowan could feel her as if she was right next to him, and that drove him near insane.

And tomorrow, tomorrow they would rattle the stars.

Author's note - I am getting SO impatient with myself because I want the Rowaelin reunion NOW. Anyways, this chapter was all over the place, forgive me, but the next one will be long cause hawk boy is going to go get firegirl.