Chapter 2

He would never accept that Lysandra was now Aelin. He would never look at this fake Aelin and see anything but contempt for Lysandra. 

Aedion walked down the halls of the inn they were staying at. Galan, Ansel, Ilias, Rolfe, and other allies that Aelin had secretly sought out staying in the floor beneath him. 

Where are our allies? Aedion had once spat in his cousin's face. Oh, how he wished he could take that back. 

"Do you have the battle lines formed?" Lysandra asked from behind him. 

Aedion refused to look back at her as he gave her a simple, "Yes."

"You can't spend eternity avoiding me," Lysandra called out after him. 

Silence roared through Aedion's head. Eternity. Lysandra was planning on spending eternity in his Queen's skin because Lysandra didn't even think she was coming back. But she had too, for Aedion would rather drag a knife along his throat then spend eternity with Lysandra in his cousin's skin.

"Please just, can we talk?" Lysandra said quietly. Gods, even her voice was similar to Aelin's.

"No."

"Aedion I am doing this for her not for-."

Before she could finish her sentence Aedion whirled on her, backing her up against the wall. Looking into those eyes so deeply that perhaps if he willed it, Lysandra's green eyes would peek through.

"You could've saved her, you did this to her. I will hate you till the day I die and whatever comes after." He couldn't look at her any longer before breaking down into tears as he did five months ago on the beach. He had to be strong for Aelin, for all that she sacrificed. But before he turned away he could've sworn something flickered in Lysandra's eyes. Something like regret. Something like love, but he just kept walking down that hall.

Aedion didn't know who to blame. Lorcan, Lysandra, Dorian, or even himself. For he too had not arrived on the deck before she had stepped into that mirror with the witch. But he held onto this hope, that Rowan had brought her back from death's grip, and he would bring her back from the Queen of the Fae. 

Rowan would bring her back, he would. And until then, Aedion would fight the world to win his cousin's kingdom back.