Kass x Reader - Accompanimy

Start from the beginning

Without a second thought, you crossed your hand over your chest. "Cross my heart and hope to die!" The childish gesture seemed to convince the girls that you were telling the truth.

Right when you were ready to leave again, the blue feathered Rito spoke up. "But... how do you know you're in love?"

"Oh. Uh..." Well, Kass certainly knew how to raise interesting kids. But love was not a lesson you were qualified to give to children, especially not the ones of your boyfriend.

"Yeah! And what is that anyway?"

You rubbed your face with a groan. You really should've just stayed at the inn...

Finally, you decided to sit on the floor and wave the chicks over to you. "Alright, listen closely because I'm only having this conversation once." You said. "Love is... Well, I guess there are different levels to love. It's a little complicated."

"What do you mean?"

You shrugged. "Well, the way your dad loves me is a bit more different than how he loves you."

The purple feathered girl gasped. "He loves you more than us?!"

"No! No, of course not." You replied quickly. You've really dug yourself into a hole this time, (Name)... "There's platonic love, and then there's romantic love. Platonic is the way you love your sisters and your father. It's how you love your friends and family. You show it all the time and hardly even know it. Romantic is how your dad loves me. It's the kind of love you see in the plays or read in fairytales. I guess you could say it's the adult love and you shouldn't be romantic with anyone until you're older."

"It still kind of sounds like he loves you more...."

You giggled nervously and scratched your head. "But he doesn't. Both kinds of love are very similar in certain ways. No matter how we love him, the rooms he walks into become a little bit brighter. The food he makes tastes a little bit yummier. And the music he plays sounds just a little bit prettier than everyone else's." The children's faces lit up happily as you explained. "To put it simply, to love someone is like seeing the world with clear vision. Everything is better when the person you love is around!"

"I don't think I could've said it better even if I tried."

You jumped at the sound of Kass's voice and nervously turned your attention to the doorway. "Uh.... H-How long have you been there?" You asked as a small blush began to rise. "Y-You, um... You weren't there for the whole thing, r-right?"

Kass only smiled and leaned against the door frame. "The whole thing." He chuckled at your bright red face that was now hiding in your hands. Then, he turned to his adorable daughters. "Alright. Come here, little ladies."

"Papa!" They squealed and happily and hugged his legs. It almost looked like they were trying to climb him. "Play us a song pretty please!"

He laughed joyfully at their young eagerness. "Okay, okay! But some of the neighbors are still sleeping. Let's go down to the landing so we don't wake anyone."

"Yay!"

All the girls rushed out of the home, but Kass waited for you by the door. "(Name)? Are you coming as well?"

You lifted your head up, all of your previous embarrassment forgotten. "Oh, right." You stood up and followed Kass down to the landing deck and saw the girls already waiting for the two of you. They bounced around on the would floors impatiently, wishing you'd walk just a little faster.

Once you got there, you sat down and leaned against the wooden post, facing Kass and the rest of the village. The girls wasted no time resting against your arms and legs like you were a giant pillow. They all watched silently as Kass began to play his music just for them - and you. It was the melody of a lullaby fit for a princess... or five. With a loving smile, you pulled out your flute and lifted it to your lips. Then you began to play along with the already-beautiful song.

Before either of you knew it, the five girls were fast asleep leaning on you. The song ended quietly, and you rested your flute on your lap. "Your children are something else, y'know." You commented.

Kass chuckled. "Yes, I can agree they're certainly a handful. But I think they've taken a liking to you, (Name)."

"Oh right, you mean by rummaging through my bag at the break of dawn? I'm feeling the love." You replied sarcastically, but you still laughed. "But, I hope you're right... I'd much rather have them love me than hate me if that's possible."

Kass nodded in understanding. "Well, you taught them a lot this morning. Life lessons like that are what I think is most important, especially when growing up."

"Plus, it's easier to be taught these things when you're young rather than having to walk through life and figure it out for yourself. I can say from experience that it isn't really fun. I wouldn't want the girls to have to do that. Then again, I was alone during most of my journey, but they'd probably have each other." You rambled for a while before quickly stopping yourself.

"See? You'd be a great mom!" He laughed.

You rolled your eyes playfully. "We'll see about that. You're a great parent and a great musician. And while we're at it, you're also surprisingly a good cook-"

"Why would that be surprising?"

"-You're amazing at everything you do..." You smiled sadly while playing around with the instrument in your hands. "How do I compare to that?"

With a sigh, Kass put down his accordion and sat beside you and his daughters. "You shouldn't compare yourself to me or anyone else. If we all did that, we'd work ourselves into the ground trying to be as good as those around us. Instead, we should strive to be the best people we can be and contribute to the world in whatever way we can. At the end of the day, that's all we can really do to make the most of our lives."

You gratefully smiled up at him. "Thank you. That was really sweet, Kass." Then, you snorted and glanced down at the young girls laying on your arm. "Kinda wish they were awake to learn some of those valuable life lessons, huh?"

"I'm sure this will come up sometime in the future. I just hope I can remember what I said." He laughed. "But, I'll be there when they need me... They're a lot like you, y'know."

"In what regard?" You wondered, taking note of the suspicious glint in his eyes.

He tried to hold in the biggest grin ever as he said, "You help me see the world with clear vision."

You groaned and hit your forehead with the palm of your hand. "Oh my Goddesses, please never quote me from that again. It's embarrassing." Under your hand, your cheeks were beginning to warm up.

"What? I'm just saying you make everything better!" He laughed.

"You are the absolute worst." You mumbled, but a little giggle escaped your lips. "But I love you."

Kass fiddled with the keys on his accordion with a loving look on his face. "And I love you." He replied genuinely. "Now, go back to sleep. I know you had quite an interesting morning." Then, he went back to playing the calm lullaby once more.

You glared at him playfully. "You're not my dad. And I'm not even tired anymore." Just as you said that, your eyes began to droop. Music always had an impact on you, but you never imagined it could literally lull you to sleep. Before you could even realize how tired you were, you fell asleep leaning against the wooden post.

Kass watched as your face and muscles relaxed, and he smiled down at your sleeping figure. It was unheard by you and the young girls sleeping against you, but during a pause in the song, he whispered, "I love you, my beautiful girls."