Chapter Twenty Three: How To Kill A Super

Shakira's POV

I wake up groggily. I'm in a bare room alone. I'm not tied up or anything. I'm just alone. The problem is, there's no doors or windows or anything. Just white walls, floor and ceiling.

Where am I?

I stand up, still in my costume. I've stopped bleeding but the cuts hurt.

"Hello?" I call out.

Suddenly a screen appears on one of the white walls. An image of Nightmare projected on it.

"You've finally waken up darling." Nightmare says.

I glare at him. "Let me go." I demand.

"Not until you work for me." Nightmare smiles.

"I will never work for you." I hiss.

"Never say never my dear. Notice that every superhero and heroine has a weakness, and I know yours. I know how to kill a super." Nightmare smiles.

"What?" I ask.

"Supers have one thing they can't stand, maybe a noise, maybe a plant, and it weakens them. It makes them just plain human for a while... Like Superman and kryptonite. You, Shakira, you can't have this noise." And as he says that he presses a button.

Suddenly a screeching sound like a sci-fi film had put something on their radars. It was high pitched and it hurt like hell. I scream and cover my ears. It's the very first note of the sci-fi text tone on your phone. And its replaying itself over and over.

I scream and scream. I scream until I cry. I cry until I can't lift my body anymore.

The noise finally stops but I can't move. I'm too weak for anything. I close my eyes in pain and I hear someone beside me.

I open my eyes and see Nightmare.

"Now c'mon, I want everyone to see you weak." Nightmare says. I picks me up rather harshly and chucks me over his shoulder.

I close my eyes again and after a while I sense we're outside. I'm passed to another person suddenly.

I'm dropped to the ground and finally I open my eyes. I feel some strength come back and I stand up carefully.

I'm in the factory parking lot. TSS are all standing on the other side of a huge glass wall, and I realize I'm in the glass wall. I look around frantically, Nightmare is flying above me... The wall has a roof as well, the wall traps me in a circle. I pound on the glass my eyes searching the TSS faces frantically.

I can hear Nightmare perfectly through the glass. "Watch your strong Shakira become nothing."

Then the noise starts again. I scream covering my ears.

"STOP! Make it stop! Please!" I shriek, I start pounding on the glass looking for a way out. I find myself crying already. I feel weaker by the second.

After what seems like hours, my body fails me and I fall limp to the ground, right by the glass. Awake but weak.

I hear pounding on the glass from the other side.

"What'd you do to her?" I hear one of the boys ask, but my brain is too fuzzy to know who.

"She's only weak." Nightmare replies.

"Only weak? She looks dead!" Luminescent exclaims angrily.

I feel someone beside me. "Shakira, will you work for us now?" No other than Nightmare asks.

I can't move, I'm too weak.

"Shakira I will put the sound on again, I will make you live with the sound until you join me." Nightmare warns.

My mind screams at me to join him. But my heart tells me no.

Barely moving my lips and without openly my eyes, I begin to speak.

"What do you want from me?"

"I want you to make a dome of glass around the city. Using all the glass in the city. Then I want you to read peoples minds, tell me what they are scared of. I also want you to help me build my machines, your mind can move things faster and easier than my men. What do you say?" Nightmare asks.

"I will never help you." I say.

"So be it." Nightmare says. And the sound comes on again. More pounding against the glass, not from me, but from TSS team. I want to reach out to them, but I can't move.

The sound is weighing down on me, physically and mentally.

Suddenly the sound stops and I feel someone beside me again. I'm picked up and although it hurts like there's no tomorrow, I feel safe.

And then I'm away from the wretched place.

I feel warm and I can tell I'm slowly gaining strength back. Not much, but little bits.

I feel myself being placed in a bed, I hear voices, I hear people scrambling.

Suddenly I'm shocked violently by something. I scream in pain and my eyes fly open.

It doesn't hurt as much as the sound did but it hurts.

I look around to see doctors and nurses. And one is holding a f*cking defibrillator. I realize they thought I was dead, or dying. I probably look like it.

I feel my eyes widen in fear.

"Get her hooked up to breathing tubes!" Someone yells. I close my eyes and I can hear the bustle of people again.

I'm being stripped of my costume and put into something else. I'm too weak to care or move.

Soon I find myself passing out in pain and weakness.