Chapter One: Superheroes Are Overrated

Shakira's POV

"KICK IT HARD!" Jennifer screams. And I do. I shoot the ball into the net, the goalie never had a chance.

My team screams and cheers and the referee blows the whistle ending the game.

Yet another win for my unbeaten team.

I retrieve the ball and boot it to my coach. He gives me a smile and I jog over to the middle where we line up and shake the other teams hand. I really just sort of high five them, you know?

We head back over to the coach, talking amongst ourselves about the best plays of the game.

"I vote Shays winning goal as the best play." Jennifer smiles.

A chorus of yeahs echo throughout my team.

"Thanks girls." I smile.

"Great game girls! Nice winning goal Shakira!" Coach Henson congratulates.

"Thanks coach." I say sitting down.

"We play our next game Thursday, here and at seven. Be here." Coach Henson says.

"Yes coach." We chorus before grabbing our bags and heading home.

As I walk home I read the recent news on my cell phone.

Luminescent: Superhero or Villain?

Reads the headline. I shake my head. Superheroes are overrated. I continue reading the article any way.

Luminescent, the newest super of New York, has yet to be determined as hero or villain. He seems to be good, yet last night he was reported setting fire to the ambulance station. Is our newest hero a hero? Or is he a villain?

What junk. I think as I put my phone away.

I walk from the soccer fields home to my house that's located on the outskirts of New York City.

I guess I'd be considered a New Yorker, a city slicker as the country folk call us, but in all reality? I'd rather be in a small town.

Finally, reaching my house, I walk inside and slam the door.

"Hey Calvin." I greet my brother as I walk through the living room where he is watching a TV show.

"Hey Shakira." He replies. Calvin being the only one (besides Coach Henson) who calls my by my full name rather than my nickname.

I head to the kitchen where dad is doing work on his laptop. He's wearing his glasses that he needs for close up and he's concentrating hard.

"Hey dad." I interrupt.

"Hey Shay! How's soccer going?" Dad asks.

"Great. Another win for us today." I smile proudly.

"If your mom were here, she'd be proud." Dad smiles sadly.

I feel a pang in my chest as I think about my decreased mother. She had died of lung cancer. She wasn't strong enough for a lung transplant.

I suck in a breath and head upstairs to take a shower.

I sit in my bedroom after my shower, looking at the ceiling. I had stuck glow in the dark stars up there when I was young, and currently they're glowing bright.

I smile before going on my phone to play something. But I see tons of Facebook notifications, so I check Facebook first.

Shay what do you think about Luminescent? A friend had tagged me in the news post from earlier.

I think superheroes are overrated. I reply before shutting my phone off and going to sleep.