Chapter Ten: Confessing That I Might Like Someone

Shakira's POV

Christmas rolls in and by fast. Next thing you know, everyone's starting to get hyped up over Valentines Day. AKA Single Awareness Day.

I hate Valentines Day. It always reminds me how I don't have a boyfriend.

I pull on my jacket with a groan and hop in my car. I pick Jen up and take her to school. She blabs on about her date with Calvin the other night. I realize they aren't that far apart in age. I mean, Calvin is nineteen turning twenty in April. Jen, her birthday close to mine, being seventeen turning eighteen in May. So two years apart isn't bad.

I wave Jen off and walk into the school.

"All students please go to the gym for a special announcement." The speaker blares throughout the school.

I groan, today is not a good day, I make my way to the gym, slower than everyone else. I drag myself towards the doors. I know I'm going to be the last person to walk in, and I don't want everyone staring at me. So I ditch.

I walk outside onto the yard. I brush the little snow that's on the bench off and sit down.

Out of no where an explosion went off right beside me. A small one, but enough to break the bench and blast me backwards. I hit my head on the cold hard ground.

The wind is knocked out of me and I have to focus on breathing with the smoke going over me.

"Hello Shakira." Says a voice.

I sit up shakily and look at the mysterious person.

"W-Who are you?" I ask, still attempting to catch my breath.

"I'm Nightmare." He says.

"Why are you here?" I ask. I take in his costume. He's clearly a super. His costume consists of dark colours. A sleek fit over a clearly muscled body. It is basically a tight jumpsuit that's deep red and a navy blue N on the front. He's wearing a small red mask only covering the upper part of his face.

"I'm here for you girl." Nightmare smiles. He shoots another explosion beside me and I scream as loud as I can. I'm blasted to the side once again.

"What do you want with me?" I shriek out. I have no idea how I haven't passed out because of smoke inhalation or hitting my head.

"Shakira, show me your powers!" He says. He shoots another explosion but I was expecting it, so I run to the side. I'm still pushed onto the ground.

"I DON'T HAVE ANY!" I cry. I scream as he shoots a crossbow arrow at me. It narrowly misses my side.

I can see people running out of the school, all the students and teachers.

"Don't lie Shakira." Nightmare says, his voice projects throughout the compound. I scream as three of the crossbow arrows fly at me. I flatten myself to the ground as the fly where my chest would have been.

"I'M NOT LYING!" I scream.

Suddenly Selcouth and Luminescent appear. They stand protectively in front of me.

"Selcouth Entity, Luminescent, hello." Nightmare says.

"Hello." Luminescent says. "What do you want with Shakira?"

"Her powers." Nightmare smiles and shoots arrows at me. Neither Selcouth or Luminescent are fast enough as the arrow flies for me.

I scream so loud I'm pretty sure I broke everyone's eardrums. I try to dodge but the arrow nicks skin on my arm.

I gasp at the pain and blood trickles down. Luminescent sends blazing fire at Nightmare.

"I TOLD YOU! I DON'T HAVE POWERS!" I scream at Nightmare.