30.

Excuse any mistakes.

Los Angeles, California
University of Southern California
Sunday

"‪Smile, because it confuses people. Smile, because it's easier than explaining what is killing you inside."‬

‪Heath Ledger‬

It was Thanksgiving week, and it was no vacation for Nia. She was beginning to become more serious about her track career. She had the option of going pro right after high school.

She also had schools across the country recruiting her. However, Nia wasn't really active with that. Naomi usually talked to the coaches moreso than Nia.

Nia was, however, interested in going to Stanford or Florida.

So, she was going to train at USC for two days. Then she was going to spend the rest of the week with her Dad.

Ashton was still going through chemotherapy, but from their talks over the phone, Nia could tell that they weren't taking their toll on him anymore. She was grateful for that.

The cancer stopped spreading for the time being.

Mariyah stops the timer as Nia crosses the finish line. "10 seconds." He says as she slows down.

"Ugh." Nia rolls her eyes at herself.

"Ugh? That's really good, Nia." One of the coaches looks at her.

"Right." A pro track runner nods her head in agreement. "I wish I was running that fast at your age."

Nia takes a sip of water before speaking. "I need to be in that 9 second range."

"Girl, you're an Olympic champion. What more do you have to prove?" Miyah asks.

Nia looks at her. "Longevity. I don't want that to be my only time going to the Olympics. I won't be okay with that. I wanna be legendary."

"I can relate." Mariyah says.

"Well, you can respect that." The coach nods. "Go take a twenty minute break for right now though."

The girls walk off the track and Mariyah looks at the field to see Khalil helping Roman with his recovery workouts.

She smiles a little at the interaction before a flash of guilt runs through her. Immediately her smile turns into a frown and she grabs Nia's arm, pulling her to the side.

Nia looks at her in obvious concern. "What's wrong?"

Mariyah sighs. "I know you have your own shit to deal with, but I really need someone to talk to."

Nia grabs her hand, and leads her to the top of the bleachers. Once they sit, Nia could see something was really wrong. "Talk to me."

"I'm pregnant." Mariyah mumbles.

Nia's eyes dash from Mariyah's eyes to her stomach. It was still flat which meant she was probably in the early stages.