29.

Excuse any mistakes. Tamara in the mm.

Calabasas, California
Saturday morning
6:30am

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

Tupac Shakur

     Nia bolted down the street like the Olympic champion she was. With tears blinding her, she ran as fast as her long legs could possibly run. She was restless, unable to fall asleep the night before.

Within her was a tug of war. She partially blamed herself for not using her talents to get out of the situation. She also chastised herself for not following her gut. Leon had always made her uncomfortable.

     Now, she knew why.

Nia was also worried about Shiloh. Although she was grateful for him defending her, she didn't want him to cut the guy. She hoped Leon didn't say anything, but she wasn't sure how realistic that was.

   The pounding noise of her shoes resonating off the streets that housed large mansions with a clanging echo that matched her heart throbbing inside her chest with the thick grief and fear She felt as she ran.

Music blasted in her ears as the fresh and crisp fall air hit her face.

     She slowed down as she noticed her house making a reappearance. Her chest heaved up and down, perspiration and masked tears fell down her brown cheeks.

Zeke stood outside, looking concerned and Nia quickly wiped her face. She removed her ear buds from her while still trying to catch her breath.

    "You went running early today." Zeke points out. "And longer." He glances at his watch.

Nia simply nods her head. "I'm fine, Zeke."

    "Zeke?" He repeats, a little shocked at her choice of words. "You've never called me that."

She looks up at him, and shakes her head. "I'm sorry. A lot on my mind."

   "No need to internalize it and allow it to change you. Your mom told me what happened."

Nia sighs a little. "I just want to forget about it. Luckily, he didn't get to go through with what he wanted to do. It never happened."

     Zeke shakes his head. "You and I both know that's not realistic, baby girl." Nia fiddles with the ring on her finger, not saying anything. "Your Dad is on his way."

"Oh my God." Nia groans, covering her face with her hands. "Why did you all tell him? He's going through enough already."

    "He's your Dad. He deserves to know and deserves to be here for you. I know you want him here."

Nia looks at him. "I just want to forget about it. I'm going to tell my mom that I don't want to press any charges. I don't want to relive it fifty million times."

   Zeke simply nodded his head, surprisingly to Nia. "I understand. That's normal."

"But?" Nia says.

    "There's no but. I'm sure Naomi will understand as well." Zeke sticks his hands into his pockets. "What do you need from me, though?"

Nia's lips began to tremble. "I just need you to hold me. You're right, I want my Dad here. But right now, I have you. You give the best hugs."

    Zeke wraps his arms around her shoulders and pulls her close, gently rubbing her arm. She sinks into the warmth of his body, appreciative of the simple gesture. Her tears fell silently onto his shirt causing Zeke's heart to shatter into pieces.