thirty four - spotlight

it's been an uneventful week. ajax was still the complete opposite of herself, and we made no further correct assumptions about the investigation. it seems like every single suspect we pull in gets away with it from the fact they don't remember anything. they did all have one thing in common; their mental health was much weaker compared to the average male.

i sat at my desk, typing away on the computer, looking for any more evidence against any of the men. i guess you could say that they are all related in age. late thirties to early forties, with maybe a hint of mid fifties. as i continued to analyze the evidence, i began to grow impatient. how long before we got anywhere? in terms of both ajax and the investigation.

hank sat in his own desk, sipping a cup of coffee and eating a donut, his mind somewhere other than the world in front of him.

gavin stepped towards hank's desk, dropping a pile of papers on top, "here's the files about the suspect's. included are the victims and more notes about the investigation."

"the victims have no correlation?" hank flipped through the packet.

"nope," gavin shook his head, "but, i know we'll find this bastard."

"we better." hank and gavin shared a confident laugh, "have the others patrol and bring anyone in that is seen committing a felony. like... normal."

"will do, lieutenant." gavin gave a joking salute and ordered the other police off to patrol.

hank turned his seat to me, "how you holdin' up, connor?"

i looked away from my computer, giving a sigh, "i'm getting through. kamski said that getting ajax' memories would take at least a week, but if anything else can go bad, it'll take a month."

"kamski is the grandfather of the androids, he'll get it. it was her original owners fault for not registering her."

i scoffed, "that word sounds so... bland. registering, registered. i can't believe that's how we were treated before."

hank leaned back in his chair, "i can't either. but whether she doesn't return to her old self, or she does, you'll be okay."

i nodded, turning back to my computer. my eyes peeked over the top to watch as the other android, the rk900, set a cup of coffee on both hank and gavin's desk.

i'm not saying that it made me jealous, but, i don't understand why hank couldn't ask me to get him a coffee? i can get him a coffee just as well as the rk900 can.

hank sipped the coffee, dropping it into his other finished coffee cup. he looked through the papers given to him by gavin. turning back to me, "hey, did you notice this?" hank grabbed a pen, pulling off the top and circling something.

suspects are said to be seen with blank eyes as if they rolled into their head [by witnesses] and to be aggressive for an unknown reason and speaking in latin.

"latin? that's a pretty common language though, isn't it?"

"yea, but, the possibility of all of the suspect's knowing it, unlikely."

"no, it's not." i chuckled.

"okay, fair enough. but still!" hank shouted, pointing at me, "there's a victim in the hospital that was able to survive one of the attacks. maybe we can go and ask some questions."

i nodded, "that seems like a good idea. do you know where they're held at?"

"yea, the hospital just downtown. i think visiting hours was a moment ago, though. we can go next time around six?"

"sounds good."

i turned back to my computer, my eyes looking over some other information written about the investigation.

when checking for weapons on the suspect, we were able to find out that the suspects all have wounds on their arms, causing them to bleed profoundly. witnesses say the suspects did it before they murdered.

"what if...." hank tapped his pen against his forehead, "what if the suspect's are part of a big cult? those are still around, right?"

"yes, but they are more secretive than out in the open."

"some cults want attention, i think, which explains the killings and the carvings. and the latin."

i shrugged, "could be, when you put it like that." my mind was in a different place. i was waiting for that phone call from kamski, telling me that ajax would be okay. but, i know my mind should be on the investigation.

tapping my fingers against the desk, bored and out of mind.

hank and gavin would every so often share thoughts with one another about the investigation, before disagreeing and call each other names and parting ways, and then doing it all over again, with fake apologies laced between their teeth.

my eyes pierced the back of the android, giving a silent, annoyed sigh. i never thought i would be annoyed at... myself? or, my twin? i don't know how to explain it myself, but yet, it still happened.

he was taller, and stronger. and more resilient, as amanda explained. that "dream" still haunts me. she looked so happy telling me that they knew i was compromised, and that they already had me replaced. i remember the flowers that surrounded her wilted and fell apart to the ground.

i guess in a way, it was karma. i betrayed amanda, and she betrayed me. an eye for an eye.

but yet, the android looked like he didn't give a care in the world, like he doesn't remember i was replaced by him, and possibly, he doesn't. maybe amanda speaks to him like how she spoke to me. little snips that feel like it's a dream, fading away a second after you come to.

the sound of snapping pulled me out of my thoughts, and i looked at the culprit.

hank's eyes looked at me, "we're gonna head off to the hospital now. gavin's gonna come along. you ready?"

"yes, sir." i stood from my chair and followed hank out the main doors.

(a/n: it's currently 2 am when im writing this because i slept all day :D i hope you guys enjoy and im sorry for the slow updates. keep it spicy babies!)