twenty one - saturn

the sound of my shoes hitting the ground as i ran echoed off the empty streets and came back to me. my mind immediately went to the idea of running. left, right, left, right. it's almost like as i became more aware of the action, i began to lose the ability to complete it. my feet seemed to twist together as my mind continued to wonder. falling forward, i was able to catch myself before i damaged anything. i scrambled up and my eyes scanned the scene in front of me.

markus and a group of androids were thrown to the ground by authorities around them. markus' eyes lifted and he looked over. his eyes briefly met mine before he advanced towards other androids, pushing some to the ground or tackling others to the ground to protect them from a small blast from a grenade. as the authorities climbed the barricades, guns aimed and ready for fire.

markus hid other androids behind some empty crates, keeping his eyes trained on the armed men. working his way through safely, markus helped up androids stuck underneath crippling poles or pinned down by the authorities.

i scaled across the field, hiding behind some of the barricades. as the androids behind the barricades panted heavily, their calming voices wore away into the true electronic, echoing voice.

holding their arms out, grasping at nothing, "help... he... help us."

i backed out of the barricades, my hands raised in defense, "i... i... i mean n... no... i mean no ha... harm." i hurried off, looking over the battlefield that was wrecked in blood and red blood. toppled structures laid on the ground and pinned poor androids to the ground.

as i advanced towards markus, he used broken metal to deflect the bullet shells as he moved the androids to safety. sitting them behind a car, a soldier climbed on top of the car, aiming the gun between the androids and markus.

markus gripped the gun, disarming the soldier before shooting the two men that threatened them.

my eyes met markus' and i ran to him, "ma... markus, h... how... wh... what can i d... do to he... help?"

"help any who are hurt and get them somewhere safe!"

nodding, i quickly began to patch up any of the injured androids i could help. as i finished, i ordered them to a secluded space in the barricades. as i worked out with helping the androids, markus, north and the others were met face to face with the rest of the authorities. markus turned his head, giving north a look. a look filled with love and happiness. like, he was happy he was going to spend the last possible moments of his life with her.

connecting their hands, the false skin that protected them disappeared and the plastic casing replaced it. as i watched from a distance, the artificial heart beat against my chest.

if i was to die here, to be shot and killed by the soldiers, who would i have to show me affection like markus and north? i had didn't have the slightest clue as to where connor was.

as their lips met, the soldiers lowered their guns, showing the sympathetic, silent support. as they dispersed, markus and north split from the affectionate and passionate action.

on the screen on stratford tower played the clip of president warren speaking. it echoed and a chill ran down my spine, "at dawn today, november 11th, 2038, thousands of androids invaded the city of detroit. according to our sources, they originated from cyberlife warehouse believed to be infiltrated by deviants. given their overwhelming numbers and the risk of civilian casualties, i have ordered the army to retreat. the evacuation of the city is underway at this very moment." president warren paused, letting an unsteady breath leaving her nose, "in the coming hours, i will address the senate to determine our response to this unprecedented situation. i know that public opinion has been moved by the deviants' cause. perhaps the time has come for us to consider the possibility that androids are a new form of intelligent life. one thing is certain: the events in detroit have changed the world forever. may god bless you and may god bless the united states of america." president warren gave a final nod, stepping away from the podium. and the live footage appeared on the screen once again.

"it's amazing, isn't it?" markus asked, "how quickly people change their minds."

i blinked, stunned. what was going to happen now? i looked at markus, "w... we need to ge... ge... go to co... connor."

markus nodded and we started our journey to the recall center downtown.

the march there was silent, the only sounds coming from the snow crunching under our feet as we walked. i looked down, wondering what to do, and what to say.

i trust connor, i do, with my entire being, android or not. but yet, i couldn't let him do this alone. i couldn't let him work for our freedom without me. the trail being him, behind connor was long and they all wore the white jumpsuits from the cyberlife warehouse.

connor and markus stepped towards each other, staring at one another. north, simon and josh stayed behind markus, while i lingered.

connor's eyes were soft and proud, "you did it, markus..."

"we did it." markus spoke softly, "this is a great day for our people. humans will have no choice now. they'll have to listen to us..."

connor stepped away from in front of the warehouse androids, letting markus step forward.

connor turned his head to me, giving a soft smile, "you can't keep away from me, can you?" he gave a small chuckle. his tie was off from around his neck and placed into the pocket of his jacket. "i couldn't have done it without you, ajax." connor placed his hand against my cheek and placed a deep kiss to mine.

my body curved into connor's and in the moment, i felt that if i was to die right here, i would be happy. my final moments would be with connor, who i was in love with. that much was simple to understand.

as connor and i pulled away, we stopped to stare at each other, our hands moving down to touch one another's. connor helped me beside north.

north gave a smile to markus, connor and i, "we're free." is all she whispered. she turned to markus, connecting their hands once again.

i leaned against connor's shoulder, my cheeks red, but none the less from the winter wind that blew through.

markus and north shared a more serious kiss. they were very much in love, just like how connor and i were. they met under strange circumstances, but took control of those moments and changed them. pulling away from the kiss, north stopped beside me, and we shared friendly smiles, talking between ourselves.

markus climbed an empty storage crate, helping us up one by one, "today, our people finally emerged from a long night. from the very first day of our existence, we have kept our pain to ourselves. we suffered in silence... but now the time has come for us to raise our heads up, and tell humans who we really are." as markus spoke, connor's body went still. i heard the loading from his led light.

silently panicking, i analyzed over him, but nothing was apparent. what was going on? how could i help?